[NA-Discuss] FW: The European Commission Papers on ICANN

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Sep 8 07:02:46 UTC 2011

Hello John,

On 08/09/2011 00:31, John R. Levine wrote :
> Look, I spent three years on the ALAC doing what the ALAC does and going
> to all the ICANN meetings.  I initially asssumed that ICANN was run in a
> more or less straightforward way, but the more I saw, the less I liked it.
> Evan's note is spot on, the blather is all lovely, but as soon as you
> suggest something that might interfere even a little bit with the
> registrars or registries revenue stream, ICANN freaks out.

I'm not going to contradict you on this John, you have made a very fair
point.
The question I therefore ask you and all of the cynics is, "how do we
change that"?

You'll notice the ALAC recently released a joint statement with the GAC.
This
opened the way to the ALAC joining forces with the GAC on issues it felt
very strongly about - thus bringing sustained firepower into effect. Are
there
any other alliances or any other things that we can do, as the ALAC, or
that RALOs can do in their part of the world, to strengthen the points of
view of the Internet user the ICANN processes?

I'm not blind & naive and I have studied ICANN's history extensively prior
to accepting the post of Chair. I have learned as much as I can of the
ALAC's
history and understand how many old timers feel that "we" are short-changed.
But this is today. I remain convinced that we have more resources than any
other constituency in ICANN due to our extraordinary membership.
We are the world.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--