[NA-Discuss] Unrest continues to be met with Internet lockdown

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Feb 16 20:35:21 UTC 2011

On 16 February 2011 15:02, Eric Brunner-Williams
<ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net>wrote:

> > That is very much more serious that just a failure in name to IP address
> translation, and this is also within ALAC purview as the global reachability
> of all distributed addresses and AS numbers is ICANN responsibility.
> >
> > One does not have to stretch at all for ICANN relevancy.
>
> Agree, but Peter and Rod already blew off all ICANN relevancy [1], and
> their claims are made in this RALO and by ALAC as well.

As I said ... it's one thing to create a very swift reaction to events in
Egypt that anyone would listen to, quite another to advance a deliberate
(and deliberative) policy that demands ICANN take whatever measures possible
to prevent (and maybe subvert) all politically-motivated efforts to make
Internet names and numbers inaccessible.

I was wary about the former but am fully supportive of the latter. And
having a concrete position in place puts us in a better position than we
were to make a seriously-taken statement based on it.

- Evan