[NA-Discuss] Unrest continues to be met with Internet lockdown

Beau Brendler beaubrendler at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 16 18:16:10 UTC 2011

It's not me that needs convincing. Evan and Gareth (and you) would need to argue that case, and they have made their opinions on the matter known. And I am in agreement that if producing a statement that says not much more than "freedom good, lockdown bad" would do more harm than good, then we shouldn't.

But if we could take to them something that resonates, such as an information source as Eric proposes, or, call me crazy, is there something we could do/create/publish, given our technical and political expertise, that might somehow help users find their way around an Internet block? Information always seems to find a way...is there an alternative conduit? Or some sort of technical/legal intersection that would give us a lever on which to craft a statement?

In addition, it would be good to hear from as many ALSs as possible on this issue.