[NA-Discuss] Summary Minutes NARALO Call 14 February 2011

ICANN At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Tue Feb 15 11:35:34 UTC 2011

Dear All, 

The summary minutes and action items from yesterday¹s call have now been
posted under:

The summary minutes are also attached below.


Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger, Seth Greene, Gisella Gruber-White,
Marilyn Vernon, Kristina Nordström
ICANN At-Large Staff

email: staff[at]atlarge.icann.org
website: www.atlarge.icann.org

NARALO 14.02.2011 Summary Minutes
Participants: Alan Greenberg, Marc Rotenberg, Beau Brendler, Darlene
Thompson, Gordon Chillcot, Allan Skuce, Joly McFie, Seth Reiss, Garth Bruen,
Evan Leibovitch, Eric Brunner-Williams, Danny Younger, Eduardo Diaz, Glenn

Apologies: Gareth Shearman

Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger

ALAC Statement on the current situation in Egypt
Marc: I was disappointed with the statement. The ALAC missed an opportunity

Joly: It was good that the ALAC sent a statement but its too bad there
wasn¹t more in it about ANY government being able to shut down the

Alan Greenberg feels that we need to be careful of both ICANN¹s scope and
what people on the ground there felt.  ICANN is walking a careful edge in
this so should a part of ICANN make a stronger statement than ICANN feels it
could/should.  We need to balance all of those concerns but should come down
on the side of caution. 

Joly: We can make strong statements to ICANN about what they should say but
should not be making strong statements to others. 

Marc: Silence in these situations can also be a decision, not just a lack

Update on Current Policy Developments

Board/GAC Consultation on New gTLDS
Evan: He has been in contact with some on the GAC and there is a lot of
frustration within the GAC because of suggestions being ignored by ICANN. 
There is a meeting happening in Brussels at the end of this month and on the
GAC, Board and certain consultants may speak.  The GAC has identified issues
with which they have certain concern in this process that they feel are
flawed. (trademark protection, objectionable strings)  The GAC has been
pushing for this meeting and there will be three people from ALAC that will
be attending this meeting as observers (Olivier, Rudi, Avri).  There will be
streaming audio and video and so this part will be public. 

Joly would be interested to know where the GAC and ALAC have common

Evan: We are agreed on many of the things we don¹t like such as
objectionable strings and trademark protection.

Transition from IPv4 to IPv6
Beau: Should we have a separate call later in the month with specialists on
this?  Yes.

We also need a briefing call on this.

Discuss NARALO Input into WT C SWOT analyses
Beau: Our income is requested into this.  The time is running short on this
and we need to get into this document and get our hands dirty.  Perhaps we
need to schedule a separate call.  If we don¹t make our statements known
here, it will be difficult to complain further down the road.  Do we agree
with their analysis of the situation?  Perhaps we don¹t need a separate

AI: Beau will send a follow up message on the SWOT analysis to the NARALO
list and provide preliminary input on behalf of NARALO.

Preparations for the NARALO Activities at ICANN SF Meeting

Update on the Townhall Event at Stanford University
What do we need to do here to make this come off?

Marc: We need to get an update but there is a lot of interest. 

Heidi: They¹ve discussed this with the executive committee and they would
like to start a mailing list of interested members in order to move forward
on this.  We need to discuss the organization of this.  There has been
interest from Stanford and from ISOC SF.  Annalisa Roger wouldn¹t mind
helping to organize this.  Saturday won¹t work for this and neither will
Sunday.  The timing is an issue.  Even the evenings are getting filled up. 
Tuesday is music night but this could be held at the same time and will draw
a different crowd.  This will happen physically at Stanford but will also be
cyber-cast.  We would need to charter a bus for this.  We also need to look
at sponsorships.  Do we have presenters set up for this?  No, but we don¹t
think there will be much difficulty for this.

AI: Heidi will add the participants of this call to the mailing list of the
Townhall Meeting.

 Update on SF Showcase Event
We are attempting to get sponsorships for this event.  Darlene is collecting
information for the fact sheets.  We have also set up the agenda for this. 
Our keynote speaker is Vint Cerf and Rod Beckstrom will also be speaking. 
We will be giving Vint a speaker gift.  Each ALS will be given a chance to
speak.  Adam will be talking about our outreach efforts.  It should be a
very exciting meeting.  We have a conference call on this every Thursday.

NARALO Budget Requests for FY12
Beau: We have asked for a general assembly, presence at three large
international technology conferences, and presence at NA meetings.  ALAC has
not put forward a judgment call on what is important and what not. 

Heidi: All regions¹ ideas have been collected together and then taken to
ICANN financial staff to see if it fits with the strategic plan. We will
hold a community call in the last week of February with Juan where he will
give us an update, they will also brief At-Large in San Francisco about the
current status of the At-Large requests.

Evan: Scott Pinzon will be meeting with us in regards to outreach, in-reach
and general communications.  He has already completed one podcast and
another is being done right now and it should be ready SF.  Scott is also
looking at a newsletter for At Large. We also expect French and Spanish
versions of the NARALO brochures.

Update from the At-Large Improvements WTs
WT A:  ALAC¹s continuing purpose ­ Unlike bodies like GNSO, there is not
restriction on the scope of At Large to participate, not just in GTLD policy
but also Internationalization, security initiatives, ICANN policy functions.
These are being put into ICANN¹s bylaws for At-Large.

WT B:  ALS participation ­ Have a closer look at alternative communicative
tools like Posterous and staff has been tasked to look into that more
closely.  We advanced the other issues like using Adobe Connect for ALS

WT C:  ALAC planning processes ­ They have been working mainly on the SWOT

WT D:  ALAC¹s policy advice development ­ This is a consolidation of
documents that staff and Beau has put together.  This will then be hosted on
the consumer commens wiki for further comment.

Recent and Upcoming Activities of ALAC
Alan Greenberg has agreed to draft the proposed process for recognition of
new GNSO constituencies.

Edmond Chung has agreed to draft the ALAC statement on the Internationalized
Registration Data Working Group Interim Report.

Carlton Samuels has agreed to put in a late comment into the public
consultation on GNSO Working Group Guidelines.

Recent and Upcoming Activities of NARALO members.
Joly: June 14 for the INET ­ Vint Cerf and somebody as keynoters

Danny: The GAC thinks that they can veto so many things about ICANN and this
is unacceptable to At Large.

The meeting was then adjourned.

More information about the NA-Discuss mailing list