[NA-Discuss] [ALAC] NARALO statement on pre-registration

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Aug 24 01:26:32 UTC 2011

On 24/08/2011 01:22, Beau Brendler wrote :
> Really? Does the NA-RALO need to have a discussion with its >elected< representatives to ALAC about what bottom-up consensus means, and about the importance of listening to your constituency?
>
> Thanks for making me aware of this.

I do not think at all that the response from NARALO's elected
representatives is a case of not listening to their constituency. It is
a case of NARALO reaching consensus, declaring it, bringing consensus to
the other RALOs and having the ALAC reach consensus on this. Noting that
I have not seen this process mature yet, I suggested that the matter
continue on email.

Clearly Beau, the ALAC will need to discuss processes by which such
bottom-up action could be formalised and promoted so as to avoid the
current tendency to let subjects hang unresolved. In my opinion, RALOs
also need to work on formalising such processes. If we wish to be
proactive at promoting the view of the Internet users, this will need to
be discussed with all present in Dakar, with regional leadership as well
as ALAC members present around the table.

In such bottom-up processes, I am well aware of the risk of promoting
the views of a vocal minority at the expense of a silent majority - and
therefore if there is any doubt that a process has matured, I'd rather
kick it back to its originator to work out a plan of action together.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD