[NA-Discuss] Stability, Security, and Resilience of the DNS Review Team

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Apr 7 19:25:36 UTC 2011

The main counterpoint to this was raised, IIRC, by Eric. He may offer a
better take on this than I, but here's how I recall the point.

For those community-based TLD proposals from poorer economies -- the ones
for whom the JAS group has been formed to try to lower costs -- the use of
one of the big registry operators is *not* a given, and in these cases the
cost of implementing DNSSEC could be significant.

Not all TLD proposals exist just for the money. There are a number of well
meaning proposals that seek to duplicate the success of .cat to use a TLD as
a focal point for a cultural, ethnic or linguistic community. Some of these
may envision using other registry operations that may not assume DNSSEC --
in these cases, mandatory DNSSEC for all is part of a barrier to entry.

- Evan

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
Em: evan at telly dot org