[NA-Discuss] On the cost of application, and Joint Application Support related

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Apr 4 06:00:14 UTC 2011

Eric,

Le 03/04/2011 21:38, Eric Brunner-Williams a écrit :
> On 4/3/11 10:46 AM, Alan Greenberg wrote:
>> I can't speak on behalf of ALAC, but I can say why I opposed the
>> "look at the 100k item"
> Cost of application, and Joint Application Support related.
>
> In the discussion arising from a Draft ALAC statement on the SSR-RT
> Set of Issues, drafted by Olivier Crepin-Leblond, in the context of
> the cost of the DNSSEC requirement, an ALAC contributor has opined
> that imposing a $100k cost for all technical issues is a negligible
> burden, within a larger budget of "about 1M US$ soley for the ICANN
> related burocracy".

The original drafter is Patrick Vande Walle. I gather you are speaking
about the proposed statement on:

https://community.icann.org/display/alacpolicydev/ALAC+Comments+on+the+Public+Call+by+the+Stability%2C+Security%2C+and+Resilience+of+the+DNS+Review+Team+%28SSR-RT%29+-+March+2011

> As the date for consensus set by the drafter is today, and the ALAC
> contributor holding the views cited above has not responded to a set
> of questions on the necessity and utility of requirements
> substantially in excess of those imposed on all but 9 of the existing
> 332 registry operators, and substantially in excess of the
> requirements met by the .aero, .coop, .museum, and .pro operators in
> 2001/2002, and the requirements met by the .cat operator in 2004/2005,
> it is unlikely that there will be an ALAC consensus statement on the
> SSR-RT Set of Issues.
>
> I find it amazing that anyone has the self-assurance to use the ALAC's
> comment on the SSR-RT issues to advocate that applications with less
> than seven figures of capitalization, a tenth of which is allocated to
> meeting initially non-functional DNSSEC and v6 requirements, have
> insufficient capitalization and/or subject matter competency, and
> should be expected to fail operationally post-delegation, or be failed
> administratively prior to delegation.

The comment period is not closed yet. I defer to Patrick for any amendments.
Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD