[NA-Discuss] Call for comment ASAP on ICANN strat plan

Heidi Ullrich Heidi.Ullrich at icann.org
Fri Jan 7 19:26:35 UTC 2011

Dear Eric,

After consulting with relevant staff, please find your requested information below.

Article I; Section 1 of the Bylaws sets out ICANN's Mission (see: http://icann.org/en/general/bylaws.htm#I).The mission and core values as written in the Bylaws have not changed since they were introduced in 2002 after the ICANN evolution efforts.  See http://www.icann.org/en/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-15dec02.htm for the first iteration of the Bylaws with the mission and core values.  You may wish to review the evolution and reform materials prior to 2002 to seek more historical information.  One good source of information would be the work of the Committee on Evolution and Reform, available at http://www.icann.org/en/committees/evol-reform/.

In terms of "vision", the most accurate record would probably be in ICANN's historic strategic plans, available at http://www.icann.org/en/financials/historical.htm, and in the operating plans and Annual Reports available off of those pages.

Regarding the One World, One, Internet slogan, after Rod Beckstrom became ICANN President and CEO, he put out a call on Twitter for suggestions for a slogan, and the 1w, 1i, everyone connected was the "winning" response. Thus, Rod did not make this slogan up, it was a suggestion from the community.  The "everyone connected" part has seemed to fall out of use late in 2010.

If you (or anyone else) seeks documentary information that is not publicly available (here, we have historical information that is publicly available), please note that the appropriate avenue for that request may be through the Documentary Information Disclosure Policy, (DIDP), described at http://www.icann.org/en/transparency/didp-en.htm.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Kind regards,
Heidi

Heidi Ullrich
Director for At-Large