[lac-discuss-en] [At-Large] Vistaprint is abandoning .vista

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:30:32 UTC 2018

Fyi: Filter out LACRALO since am not a member
Sent from my mobile
Kindly excuse brevity and typos

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 08:57 Christian de Larrinaga, <cdel at firsthand.net>
wrote:

> There should be no branding in the DNS - none. It is not technically
> capable as it stands of representing brands. Branding could be supported
> and integrated with the DNS. But the domain name itself is not the
> mechanism to use.

SO: +1

> We've had over two decades of noise around IPRs in the DNS domain names.
> None of the solutions to this are anything more than band aids to try to
> stop a bit of bleeding. The emergence of brand TLDs has created
> opportunities to cut an artery or two. But the idea you cure somebody by
> putting up the price of the surgery does not look like a good idea for
> the patient. It looks self serving for the surgeon.
>
> Over the longer term as I said there are better ways to architect brand
> services than putting up the price to make more band aids.
>
> The short term problem is ICANN has misstepped by pushing for brand TLDs
> and accumulated a huge amount of money in the process. If it finds out
> that it needs to spend some or all of that to fix its mess then that is
> not an excuse for passing the buck on to others.

SO: +1~ I guess it's one of the reason why a rushed next round could
emphasis the rigmarole.

> What ICANN should not do is sell more tld's in order to subsidise fixing
> those already available. At the end of the day the brands who bought
> into and own these domains are responsible for the good conduct and
> service to their users. They bought into it and it is to them that their
> users should and can seek redress if those brands don't stand up to the
> contract they made. ICANN no doubt has some responsibility and possibly
> some potential liability but it is a private sector body and has to live
> and die as such.

SO: Once again, I agree.

Regards