[lac-discuss-en] RESEND: Voto ALAC sobre KSK

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 5 05:47:30 UTC 2018

<RESEND: First copy could not be translated.>

Alejandro,

This was one of the most extensive debates, first in San Juan, and
then online, that I can recall in At-Large. And quite reasonably
since this may have significant effect on the users whose interests
we represent. The Wiki printout runs 18 pages. There were at least 4
draft statements prior to the final one. The issue was then debated
during the ALAC meeting on 27 March, and the decision was made to go
with a short and clear statement which identified a number of issues
and needs.

I drafted the final version and passed it by the ALAC and regional
leaders. Despite a very tight timeline, I received confirmation of
support from 10 of the remaining 14 ALAC members (including all three
from LACRALO) prior to submission.

There was no conscious decision to exclude those words. I drafted
what I thought was reasonable at the time, and no one suggested any
edits. Although the there is no explicit reference to ALSes, it was
well understood by all in the discussion that this was a path we
would follow once we have access to the right materials.

Starting from a position with a large split in the community, we
ended up with what I hope is an excellent statement that has wide
support and one that I believe will have significant impact. It
exemplifies what At-Large can do when there is an important issue at
hand and it is one we should all be proud of.

Alan