[lac-discuss-en] FW: Follow-up: ALAC Voting Delegates to the NomCom for 2013 - MESSAGE TO SPANISH TRANSLATION

staff at atlarge.icann.org staff at atlarge.icann.org
Fri Sep 14 09:08:45 UTC 2012

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

 Subject: FW: Follow-up: ALAC Voting Delegates to the NomCom for 2013 - MESSAGE TO SPANISH TRANSLATION
 From: staff at atlarge.icann.org

 MESSAGE IN SPANISH TRANSLATION BELOW

 Dear all,

 As everyone knows, we have faced a situation unprecedented in the
 recent vote to elect voting delegates to the NomCom for
 2013.

 Our Bylaws incorporate rules for Candidate Election. These
 rules are valid for the election of all officers of the ALAC,
 including delegates to the NomCom.
 The Rule 10.4 specifies that a "tie vote instantneo" serusado
 as the voting system to determine the winner.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

 Rule 10.05 specifies that voters rank * all *
 candidates in order of preference.

 This means that the type of voting instantneo tiebreaker is required
 of "preference" total vote.
 It only allows the selection of a candidate.

 Unfortunately, the voting system was programmed to Bigpulse
 allow the choice of only one candidate and some voters aslo
 did.

 As a result, the vote violated Rule 10.5 and is therefore null and void.

 Since we have to choose someone as soon as possible, I
 directed the staff to begin a new vote, which is attached
 strictly to our Statutes. As a result, the vote requerirque
 * All * candidates are put in order, and that the feedback system
 BigPulse be programmed not to accept partial votes.

 Also notice that there is no option "none of the above" as this
 not required by our bylaws.

 So, the only options that members of the ALAC They will have to vote
 Sern:

 Candidate A - 1
 Candidate B - 2

 or

 Candidate A - 2
 Candidate B - 1

 or

 Refrains - 1

 Sque there are other options that may be possible with "partial preference
 instantneo tiebreaker vote "but our laws do not.

 If you have questions, estarencantado to answer. A lesson learned
 is that we need to ensure our re-writing the rules of ALAC
 Procedures is quite clear about how the votes are counted and that
 type of voting system is used.

 Again, my apologies for the confusion this has caused.

 Olivier MJ Crpin-Leblond
 ALAC Chair