[lac-discuss-en] LACRALO resources and efforts

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Thu Aug 16 18:17:36 UTC 2012

Hi
I  looked back through email threads on this list for the past 2
years. There have been more energy spent and emails sent on this issue
of a candidate's residency than on any topic except the GA and the
various proposals associated with it.

More discussion than on:
ALAC position papers and statements
New GTLDs
Security and stability of the Internet, including SSAC reports
IDNs
DNSSEC
Applicant support
ICANN Academy
and more...

I thought that these issues were the reason we're here.  Hard to tell
from the list traffic.

With regard to elections, I also noticed that there's been little to
no discussion on the list of the merits of the various candidates, of
the attributes we'd like our representative to ALAC to have, etc. For
example,
 There have also been discussions as to how, how often and what our
LAC reps should report to the LACRALO via the list. Would we like our
rep to report often, to give us "heads up" notice of topics that are
likely to come up for discussion? Would we like this to be official,
such as a monthly time slot  in the telecon? Or would email be
sufficient? Or better?
Are there any issues that we've had with our representation in the
past that we'd like improved by the new rep?
Are there any new proposals from the candidates that might make our
work easier or better?
We've learnt a lot about their CVs, what work they've done in the
past, but is that enough to vote for everyone?

Just an observation.

Jacqueline A. Morris
Technology should be like oxygen: Ubiquitous, Necessary, Invisible and
Free. (after Chris Lehmann )