[lac-discuss-en] =? Iso-8859-1? Q? Consulta_a_la_Regi = F3n_-_Eleccion? == Iso-8859-1? Q? Es_ALAC_!? =

josefranciscoarce at gmail.com josefranciscoarce at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 00:06:23 UTC 2012

[[--Translated text (es -> en)--]]

 Subject: =? Iso-8859-1? Q? Consulta_a_la_Regi = F3n_-_Eleccion? == Iso-8859-1? Q? Es_ALAC_!? =
 From: josefranciscoarce at gmail.com

 Dear,

 I am writing this time to participarlos in a situation that is
 has occurred in the past weeks in LACRALO concerning the situation of
 Humberto Carrasco as a candidate member of ALAC, taking up residence
 Edinburgh current and possible conflict with the operating principles of
 LACRALO in rule # 8 (cited below).

 I received mail from ICANN Staff even referring to this situation
 particular, and several emails from concerned members of the region and doubts
 prximas about elections. And it has become a topic that deserves
 the discusiny knowledge of the region.

 Before sending this email, I had a chance to talk personally with
 Humberto and he shares the idea of \u200b\u200bdebating between all this situation.

 Of all the consultations and talks I've been assembling a summary of the
 general issues and concerns and to share with you
 have a say.

 Regards

 JosArce. -

 President of LACRALO

 * Location * Humberto Carrasco

 Humberto estviviendo in Edinburgh, Scotland, and estestudiando a
 Doctorate at the University of Edinburgh. he himself has expressed this
 electronic mail enviun situation when the list of discussion of
 LACRALO, accepting the proposal as representing nominacin LACRALO
 to ALAC.

 http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-es/2012/004678.html

 There are also e-mails in the list of discussion LACRALO
 where l asked them to call for a conference LACRALO where
 provides a phone number in Scotland to receive the call.

 http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2012/005262.html

 In addition to the Personal page of Facebook, where each user
 provides the data you want to provide a voluntary basis, Humberto has
 expressed that lives in Edinburgh, Scotland.

 https://www.facebook.com/humberto.carrasco.376

<http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/lac-discuss-en/2012/005262.html> Also
 on your personal Facebook profile, Humberto has said that comenzsus
 studies at the University of Edinburgh in the year 2011. As is audience
 knowledge, to study a PhD in whatever branch, consuming
 more than a year of study, it is inferred that still estviviendo
 studying in Edinburgh and his Ph.D. at the University of Edinburgh.

 https://www.facebook.com/humberto.carrasco.376/info

 * Residency requirements for a PhD study at the University of
 Edinburgh (Scotland) *

 In accompanies the link details the residency requirements for
 studying a PhD at Edinburgh in the telecommunications sector
 estrealizando like Humberto.

 http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/08-09/regulations/postgrad.php

 Among those requirements contained in Section 4 requires that candidates
 a PhD must maintain their residence in Edinburgh * ** During the period of
 study * (in doctorates have a minimum of 3 years of duration) unless
 a leave of absence has been allowed. * The term residence
 Edinburgh: residence in the city of Edinburgh or nearby,
 candidate and proximity to Edinburgh, to allow ease of
 face to face meetings with their supervisors and study, led by
 supervisor and approved by the Faculty *.

 This document from the University of Edinburgh also provides the
 possibility of residence elsewhere for PhD candidates by the end of
 fieldwork and research acadmicas but not exceeding the
 within 15 months, but must reside at least 9 months of the
 duration of his PhD in Edinburgh. To use this option
 debern candidates obtain the written authorization of the Director of
 School and the need to maintain regular contact with their
 own supervisor.

 Permits for reasons other than field work or research
 acadmicas, Sern exceptionally granted by the Faculty.

 * Requirements for representatives to ALAC LACRALO *

 The first rule that we must go is to our Principles
 Operating LACRALO, which have covered this situation so
 expresses exhaustive and clear.

 In case there are gaps in this topic in our Operating Principles,
 freshly ahse must resort to external rules such as Rules
 ALAC procedure, and then freshly ICANN's Bylaws.

 The ALAC Rules of Procedure have nothing planned for this
 subject. The ICANN Bylaws relating to the residence, but only
 respect to the Directors of the Board and to comply with the requirement of
 regional diversity and estcontemplada expressly required to
 to become members.

 * Operating Principles LACRALO *

 LACRALO Operating Principles have in principle number 8,
 referred to the first paragraph shall LACRALO representatives to ALAC so
 states:

 8.The LACRALO elect two (2) individuals to serve as representatives
 to the At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), in the terms that have been
 specified in the ICANN Bylaws. ALS only those which have been
 accredited before the votacin, podrn vote in the choice. Each ALS
 tendrderecho accredited to one vote. The selected representatives * must *
 be members of different ALS, * shall have their place of residence
 main in different passes of the region *, and their nationalities must
 be different. Tendrna representatives responsible for the duties
 stipulated in the bylaws of ICANN. *
 https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/2264378/Principios%2520Operativos%2520de%2520la%2520LACRALO%2520Rev1%2520-%220ES%2520.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1283972736000
 *

 * Interpretation of ICANN's lawyers *

 Sam Eisner writes =&gt;

 STARTS ** **

 The LACRALO may wish to Consider how issues of diversity are discussed This in
 the ICANN Bylaws for the Purposes of Determining domicile / residency:

 For Purposes of This sub-section 2 of Article VI, Section 2 of
 the ICANN Bylaws, if Any candidate for Director Maintains citizenship of
 more than one country, or Has Been domiciled for more than five years in a
 Which country of the candidate does not Maintain citizenship (&quot;Domicile&quot;)
 That candidate may be Deemed to be from Either Must select country and in
 his / her Statement of Interest the country of citizenship or Domicile That
 he / she wants to use the Nominating Committee for Diversity Calculation
 purposes. For Purposes of This sub-section 2 of Article VI, Section 2 of
 the ICANN Bylaws, a person can only have one &quot;Domicile,&quot; Which Shall be
 Determined by Where the candidate has a permanent residence and place of
 habitation.

 There are issues of citizenship of Considerations (Which do not seem to be
 With This candidate at issue) and WHERE I lives. The NomCom Requirement
 sets a 5-year window Which Could allow for items Such as schooling, etc..
 The LACRALO may wish to Consider Whether a school's Requirement That a
 matriculant to live near the school education equals a historical weitere
 Requirement That the matriculant not Maintain Any sort of longer residence
 They may wish and elsewhere to Discuss this With The Candidate Before
 Taking a decision on Whether the candidacy is viable. Whatever decision is
 taken, I would recommend getting a full view of the facts from the
 candidate, and not basing a decision on independent internet FULLY
 research.

 I do not see in the document ops ALAC That There's Any discussion of
 Requirements residency, so I do not see a conflict there.

 ENDS ** **

 The consultation on ICANN's lawyers express the statement
 above. Although they forget that when the situation presented esttbNL&gt; expressly provided in our bylaws, we must turn in
 First, to them. In addition refer to the elections by the
 NomCom, which are governed by rules different from LACRALO.

 In this case, we are looking to choose for the region, a representative of
 LACRALO to ALAC.It must apply the rules governing our
 region, not the NomCom. The NomCom is aplicarn when choosing
 candidates for office, it is not our case.

 Apply rules of strange * JURISDICTION affect independence and
 autonomy that should have a RALO: the possibility of passing on their own
 statutes and abide by them *.

 *
 *

 * How should interpret the residency requirement? *

 Legally, the residence comprises two elements: the * body * and * animus *.
 Ie, physically meet in one location (with the body of the person
 in that place, living in a particular place) and in addition the person must
 make the intention, the * animus *, to remain there.

 In the documentation acompaada demonstrated that Humberto Carrasco,
 lives, resides, has his * corpus * in Edinburgh and in addition has the
 intention (the * animus *) to remain there, because it is an
 studying for his Ph.D. and finalize debercontinuar living in
 Edinburgh, as required by the regulations for residence
 Doctorates from the University of Edinburgh.

 Addition is proper and nature of the residence, a person not
 WHO can have two residence in different places and at the same time,
 mainly because a person only has a body. It
 ie in our case, Humberto can not have their residence, live in
 Edinburgh and in Chile, at the same time.

 Also come to the aid in determining the residence of individuals,
 generally in the tax laws of each country. Because
 is understood as a general rule, that all citizens are taxed in the
 country in which they live or have their principal residence. With few exceptions,
 in which a person living in a particular anti pas debertributar
 in another country, if the latter has source of income.

 If it is held that Humberto has a residence in Chile, we use the
 tax sharee'ah that country, especially that relating to tax
 on income from property in Chile or activities
 l developed, ie Chilean source.

 To understand the Chilean sharee'ah then residence, to
 tax purposes to:

 * &quot;Resident&quot; means any natural person to remain in Chile more than six
 months in a calendar year, WHO six months in total, in two
 consecutive tax years, *

 Therefore, we must ask, assuming that a person can not
 have two different residences and at the same time, if resident in
 Chile means being more than six months in the country, and on the other hand,
 residence regulations of the University of Edinburgh, will require
 Humberto live in Edinburgh or its vicinity during the term of their
 studies, how may reside at the same time in Chile and Edinburgh?

 *
 *

 * The point to be discussed is (from my point of view): *

 It violates the requirement of establishing residence Principles
 * Operating LACRALO have their primary residence in
 different passes of the region by Humberto Carrasco currently have their
 residence in Edinburgh? *

 I hope we can discuss this issue to make clear our
 processes.

http://mm.icann.org/transbot_archive/91863072bd.html