[lac-discuss-en] Recent LACRALO List postings

Roosevelt King rok at bango.org.bb
Wed May 30 06:49:49 UTC 2012

Dear Mr. Crepin-Leblond,

I was not aware that there was an English list and a Spanish list. I must
therefore ask if there is a German list, a Russian list, a French list a
Scandinavian list, etc? Is there a list for every language in all the
regions? Why have regions that are so split up?

Let me say Mr. Crepin-Lablond, that I find your post rather threatening,
insulting and typical of one who would seek to shut up others rather than
listen to and act on a genuine complaint. Is this a case of the victim being
turned into the culprit? As Chair of ALAC, it is in your interest to seek to
resolve problems that will arise within the machinery of ICANN as in any
organisation.

To try to ascribe blame, fault, misbehaviour and throw out charges of
discrimination and lack of professional conduct is not to recognise that
there is a problem or at best try to quash the problem by dictatorial means.
Furthermore, while stating that you are not choosing sides, proceeds to
speak of established positions. But seeing that the only recent postings
along these lines came from the Caribbean, it means that you have chosen
sides, not so?

This dictatorial behaviour may work well in the private sector but such
behaviour within the voluntary sector can only lead to further problems. You
are not dealing with children. If this is the approach at the level of ALAC,
why should we expect any better at the level of LACRALO. I mean no
disrespect, but I am identifying a possible trend and I believe that the
root of it is in the rules.

This thing about running away from the word "rules" and trying to shy away
from formal structure of rules and leaving rules ambiguous and vulnerable to
wide interpretation is bizarre, to say the least. As I described in my last
post about LACRALO, all the rules of ICANN are similarly improperly written
and, in such conditions, there will be many and varied interpretations that
can only result in long debates and divisions over what was originally
intended.

As an example, see transcripts or recordings of the conference calls on
metrics and rop, May 28th 2012, where I made a query on a rule 1.1 which
states what is not the qualification for a Liaison, but does not state what
is the qualification. I asked, what are the requirements for Liaison and the
response I got would have filled a page, but is nowhere in the rules.

For such a large organisation I am appalled at the state of the rules. I
look at them and shudder because this can only be a tragedy waiting to
happen. What makes it more appalling is the amount of legal minds within
ICANN. One can only conclude that the lawyers took a back seat for whatever
reason.

What is clear is that ICANN is not ready for the robustness of diversity and
therefore not structured to properly manage it, as is reflected in your
response. What your response does is effectively say that there is no
solution so shut up. That is only my humble opinion, but the proof of the
pudding is in the eating. As victims within LACRALO, we are now left to feel
that we are victims within ALAC as well.

This is a source of disappointment and cause for serious concern at the
deeper polarisation this may likely cause. The Caribbean has serious
difficulty relating to LA as a region and without any attempt to resolve the
crisis within LACRALO, it may well turn out to be LARALO. How does this
square with the mandate of ICANN to include all users?

ROK