[lac-discuss-en] =? Iso-8859-1? Q? RES = 3A_Propuestas_de_la_considera? == Iso-8859-1? Q? Ci = F3n? =

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Tue Mar 6 14:27:57 UTC 2012

Hi Sylvia

I have a feeling that there's yet again some misunderstanding...

The proposal that I was commenting on is the one here: (PDF in English)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/877052/LACRALO-Costa-Rica-Events-WG/bylaws/proposals%20to%20ensure%20diversity%20of%20lacralo%20alac%20officers%20and%20Individual%20participation.pdf
.sent by Cntra last night.

And the particular bit that I thought might lead to Brasil not being
considered is quoted below:

“Caribbean” means all countries in the Caribbean Region bounded by the Caribbean
Sea, being not predominately Spanish-speaking and forming part of the Caribbean
Community;
“Latin America” means all countries belonging to the Latin American
Region, being
predominately Spanish-speaking and historically having long
uninterrupted Spanish
rule."

And given that Brasil falls neither in the Caribbean Community, and
cannot be considered Caribbean; nor is it predominantly Spanish
speaking and  having long uninterrupted Spanish rule, I don't see it
fitting in the definition of LAC proposed here either, so my concern
was  - given these two definitions in Cintra's proposal, Brasil is to
my mind indeed left out of this proposal.  That was my question  for
explanation by Cintra as the drafter of those definitions.

I totally believe that Brasil is a vital and important part of the LAC
region and would like the definition amended to make sure that Brasil
is also clearly included.

I am writing this during a break in class, so cannot go into detail on
the other points you raise, but I do strongly believe that individuals
should be allowed to participate, but not necessarily in the manner
proposed here.

Jacqueline A. Morris
Technology should be like oxygen: Ubiquitous, Necessary, Invisible and
Free. (after Chris Lehmann )