[lac-discuss-en] [ALAC-ExCom] ALAC/At-Large Improvements Project -- important update

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 14:55:28 UTC 2011

Dear Olivier:
I truly understand your perspective and even acknowledge that the
'fer-instance' you record, admittedly an extreme case, is possible.....and
troubling.    But I am convinced that "sanctions" talk is the wrong mindset
to address this.

Persons are appointed for a period.  That period can be adjusted by design
and in context of the appointive process.  That the least of it though.

When it comes to elected members, elections have a particular objective in
our at-large context; it presages the 'bottom up' process to which names and
numbers policy making is said to be committed. Persons are elected for a
period.  History absolves me; everyone knows that I am aware electorates
can, in fact, return 'unsuitable' persons.  However, because we must pay
more than lip service to this 'bottom up' ideal, the ALAC cannot adopt such
a cavalier attitude to the rejection of that quintessential 'bottom up'
action that nullification of that election will message.

Then there are the 'unintended consequences' one can anticipate.

I have consistently cautioned against this talk of 'sanctions', even when
well-respected colleagues have privately sought my views in circumstances
where ALAC members are judged to be 'lifting light' in ALAC work. I feel
equally strong that as this mindset remains with life and stalks the
framework, it is bad for our business.

So consistent with my own views and intuit, I shall oppose.

Best,
Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799