[lac-discuss-en] LACRALO Preference Vote - NonCom Delegate

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 04:24:43 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues:
I am responding to posts from Carlos Vera and Jose Ovidio. My apologies if
my translation is inadequate but here again, evidence of my concerns
previously stated.

In Carlos Vera's response to me, he misspoke on the duration of the
preference poll.   He claims it was open for 3 days.

Wrong.

Fact:  The preference poll was open for forty (40) hours.  In my part of the
word, a day remains 24 hours.  If you do the math you will notice this made
the duration 8 hours shy of two (2) days.

Secondly, my friend Jose Ovidio questioned my standing to raise a point of
order on this list.  This is truly unfortunate because without meaning to,
confirmed he too is challenged by a lack of understanding of basic LACRALO
RoP.

Fact: Any member in good standing can raise a point of order in a LACRALO
General Assembly.  I'm sure he did not mean to say The University of the
West Indies and it declared representative is without standing.

Secondly, he should know that this voting activity is by definition and
process, a virtual LACRALO general assembly.

Thirdly, the presiding officer - this time the Secretariat - is duty bound
to take my point of order.  His ruling can be challenged. And any member
retains the right to challenge his decision by resolution and call for a
vote to ratify.

Finally, a comparison of the state of LACRALO.

Only a couple days ago, Our ALAC representatives requested the sense of the
membership on a policy matter before ALAC for which they would be required
to vote.  I defy anyone to give me a count of the number of responses to
that request:
1.  Within 12 hours
2.  Within 24 hours
3.  Within 36 hours