[lac-discuss-en] The Interim LACRALO Presidency

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 01:11:16 UTC 2011

Dear Friends and Colleagues:
I have been thinking about the state of the LACRALO organization and our
role in ICANN policy development. Quite frankly, we have not done as  well
as would be expected, given the individual talents that come together to
form it.  And to my mind, the reason is clear.  We have spent an inordinate
amount of time in building organizational capacity thru elections.  And so
much less of our intellectual and experiential resources impacting names and
numbers policy development.  Here is another opportunity to stabilize and
become more active in policy development.  And for that we need a stable
organization with experienced leadership and proven expertise.

I have already urged members to consider a consensus candidate and forgo a
divisive election.  For to my mind, the demands on the leadership that is
created by the present ICANN environment means we must go for stability and
experience.  The issues surrounding the rollout of the new gTLD program, an
assertive GAC and the surge in recognition by the community that developing
economies may actually have different priorities in ICANN means we must play
to a particular set of our strengths.   In this instant case, a person at
the helm with broad and deep experience in ICANN councils and a deep
understanding of the connections between present matters is a very valuable
strength and trumps every other consideration,  including youth and
enthusiasm.  I am also mindful that we extend our strength in policy making
councils with diversity.  And without exception, that others in the
community know who you are is a great advantage.

I cannot and do not doubt Jose Arce's abilities nor his capacity to lead,
even to become a great leader. But the timing for him is not now.  To be
brutally frank, we have a weak LACRALO team in the field.  And we have a
duty of care to the organization to see to its strengthening. For all of
these reasons I wish to nominate Vanda Scartezini of Brazil as the Interim
LACRALO President and urge her election by affirmation.

Carlton Samuels