[lac-discuss-en] Cronología de los eventos relat = ivos a la =?ISO-8859-1?B?ZWxlY2Np824= del presidente de LACRALO =

At-Large Staff staff at atlarge.icann.org
Thu Apr 9 08:10:02 CDT 2009

Dear Sergio,

We would like to make one clarification regarding your interpretation of the
Chair election chronology. The purpose of the first teleconference between
you, Andres and the At-Large staff was to talk to you personally about the
occurred error as we felt sure that both you and Andres would want to be
told of this situation before it was made public. Neither you nor Andres,
nor anybody within the region with the exception of the presiding officer of
the General Assembly, Carlton Samuels, had previously been informed about
the events.  It is true that Carlos Aguirre had approached Staff in relation
to the Chair election, however, his intervention referred to the
mathematical formula that we were using and not to the actual vote count.
The error in counting was detected by the At-Large Staff when we listened to
the audio recording and at no point were we or our actions subject to
outside pressure. On the contrary, our only motivation was that the error,
once detected, was correctly communicated to the region.

With regards to the fact that there was no simultaneous interpretation for
this conference call, please note that the error was detected only two days
before the monthly LACRALO teleconference and the minimal time necessary for
requesting interpretation did not allow for this teleconference to be
simultaneously interpreted.

What we tried to communicate to you during that teleconference was simply
that there was an error in counting and that the presiding officer will
inform the region about the next steps shortly. During that call, we were
under the impression that this was understood despite the fact that the
translation of one of our Staff members cannot be compared to that of
professional interpreters. We apologize if there was a misunderstanding.

We hope this clarification was useful.

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart, Heidi Ullrich, Matthias Langenegger, Gisella Gruber-White,
Marie-Helene Bouchoms
ICANN At-Large Staff
email: staff at atlarge.icann.org