[lac-discuss-en] Election Results for Chair and Secretariat in Mexico City

Nick Ashton-Hart Nick.Ashton-Hart at icann.org
Thu Mar 19 13:12:33 CDT 2009

Dear LACRALO Members:

After carefully reviewing the recordings of the LACRALO GA whilst preparing the official record of voting for the positions of LACRALO Chair and Secretariat, we are obliged to inform you that a mistake in the calculation of the results for the election of the Chair has been discovered.

The error is that the proxy vote of DevNet (Guyana) was not included in the vote tally. Were this vote included, as you will see in the attached documents, the outcome of the election would have been different and Andres Piazza would have been elected Chair.

We have investigated the Ordinary Rules of Procedure of LACRALO, as well as the UNGA Rules that are incorporated by reference in the Ordinary Rules. Neither set provide for errors in the election process.
As Carlton Samuels was the Presiding Officer at the time the elections were conducted, under the Ordinary Rules of Procedure it is for him to rule on how this situation will be resolved.  We have spoken with Carlton, and he will shortly be sending an email to the region on this subject with his ruling on the matter.

Last but not least, I wish to extend my apologies on behalf of all of the At-Large staff for our part in this situation, and in particular to the candidates affected by the situation.

A translation of this note into Spanish, as well as the attached, is being prepared as quickly as we are able and will be sent ASAP.

Nick Ashton-Hart, Matthias Langenegger, Heidi Ullrich, Marie-Hélène Bouchoms
ICANN At-Large Staff
email: staff at atlarge.icann.org