[LAC-Discuss] FW: [governance] Where are we going?

Carlton A Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Tue Apr 10 09:56:06 EDT 2007

Here’s a very thoughtful infusion!

  _____

From: Bertrand de La Chapelle [mailto:bdelachapelle at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 6:21 AM
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org; Demi Getschko
Cc: Karl Auerbach
Subject: Re: [governance] Where are we going?

Hello to all,

Two simple remarks - on a personal basis :

On the Milton / George debate :

As it has already been mentionned, there are two extreme options that simply
do not work :
- anything accepted / legal in one country / culture should be accepted /
legal on the Internet as a whole;
- anything forbidden / illegal in one country / culture  should be forbidden
on the Internet as a whole.

Once we accept these two options must be out of the table, we are confronted
with much simpler questions : what should be the rules to organize the
coexistence of different value sets in the common space of the Internet ?
how are we going to discuss them ? and more than anything : where ?

Regarding the Demi / Karl discussion :

In the physical world, cultural spaces and the corresponding communities are
separated by some physical distance : the agreed public signs for each
community progressively evolve along a sort of geographic continuum. To take
Karl's pertinent example of the cross : the symbol is very present in
countries with strong christian communities, much less in countries with
other dominant religions. Likewise for "porn" : any pharmacy in France today
- or many  advertising billboards for that matter -  display images of women
so naked that they wouldn't have even been allowed in the "porn" mags of my
youth and they would be considered very offensive for people with very
strong muslim moral references for instance. I

Community references evolve and what is agreed at one time in one zone is
deifferent from what is accepted as common in another time or another zone.
This is just a fact. And, let's be clear, this is why countries implemented
borders and sometimes fought aggressively to defend their own conception of
society rules - for better or worse.

Problem is : the Internet is a common space and it does not provide similar
boundaries or a continuum for progressively moving from one cultural space
to another. With a single click (or even without in the case of pop-ups), it
is just like a  Star Trek Holodeck : as if you were to move in one second
from the most sexy Las Vegas table dance club to the inner part of St Peter
in Rome or the Kabbah in Mecca. Or, to take another domain of reference :
from the die-hard Davos capitalist crowd to the strongest Porto Alegre
anti-globalization crowds.

Those two examples show :
1) that this mere distinction between a continuum in the physical space and
the Holodeck effect raises new problems : you do not deal with the Internet
space exactly the same way you deal with the physical world; seems obvious
but maybe worth reminding;
2) that in certain cases (the Las Vegas - St Peter example) you may deal
with a difficulty to preserve free circulation through the Internet Space
while at the same time avoiding unnecessarily offending people who would
like to remainin a coherent space. This applies both for avoiding the
placement of the equivalent of signs advertising lap dances on the right of
St Peter's altar AND for not positioning moral condemnations or call to
repentance at the entrance of entertainment sites;
3) that in other cases, maybe the Davos - Porto Alegre example, the Holodeck
effect placing together streams of information that are competing views on
the same subject micht actually be beneficial to a better understanding.;

In any case, the whole discussion is, once again, about coexistence of
different cultural and value sets in a common environment. This is a debate
that has not taken place yet and will necessarily impose itself. It deserves
better than just talking past one another. Using physical world analogies is
useful : to understand how people feel and to understand what is similar and
what is different in the virtual world as opposed to the physical one.

Best

Bertrand

On 4/6/07, Demi Getschko <trieste at gmail.com  <mailto:trieste at gmail.com> >