[EURO-Discuss] Multistakeholder Ethos Award Submission

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Mar 28 21:35:00 UTC 2018

Thanks Olivier!

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting, Colocation & Domains
https://www.blacknight.com
https://blacknight.blog /
http://ceo.hosting/
Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
-------------------------------
Road,Graiguecullen,Carlow, R93 X265
,Ireland  Company No.: 370845
From: EURO-Discuss <euro-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org> on behalf of Olivier Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
Date: Wednesday 28 March 2018 at 21:32
To: Euralo <euro-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
Subject: [EURO-Discuss] Multistakeholder Ethos Award Submission

Dear colleagues,

With only positive responses and no opposition or abstentions, the 24H consensus call asking our community whether EURALO should Nominate Stéphane van Gelder for the ICANN Multistakeholder Ethos Award, has ended in full support.
Please be so kind to find the Nomination for Stéphane van Gelder which I have just filed with the Multistakeholder Ethos Award Committee on behalf of EURALO.
Best,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond

--- cut here ---

1. Demonstrated ability to work across community lines with both familiar and unfamiliar ICANN Stakeholders with the aim of consensus building and collaboration that substantiate ICANN's multistakeholder model;

Stéphane was an inspiration for ICANN"s multi-stakeholder model. From being a commercial, contracted party in the Registrar and Registry Stakeholder Groups, Stéphane chaired the GNSO Council in a neutral manner and using great communication and consensus building skills. He then went on to spend several years in the leadership team of the ICANN Nominating Committee, a position that again requires great communication skills across an even wider range of stakeholders. Unusually, but to his credit, he was also active as an individual end user in the work of EURALO - where his aim was to help the At-Large Community improve the quality of its output. He was one of the earliest and a key member of the EURALO Individuals Association.

2. Facilitator of dialogue and open discussion in a fair and collegial manner, through the spirit of collaboration as shown through empathy and demonstrating a sincere desire to engage with people from other backgrounds, cultures, and interests;

He Chaired the GNSO Council and he Chaired the NomCom. It takes great skills and investment to achieve success in these committees without being accused of all sins.

3. Demonstrated additional devotional factors exhibited by time spent supporting ICANN's multistakeholder model and its overall effectiveness through volunteer service via working groups or committees.

At the SO/AC Chairs dinner in San José, Costa Rica, the then CEO Rod Beckstrom asked each of us how much we took of our time to devote pro-bono assuming our SO/AC Chairing duties. Stéphane answered that he spent well in excess of 20-25 hours per week on GNSO work. Not content of having spent two years Chairing the GNSO Council, he went on to Chair the ICANN Nominating Committee. Not only did his involvement in ICANN last for a long time, it was also intense and an integral part of his life.

Please provide any further information in support of your nomination for panelists to review during the deliberation process as appropriate:

I am submitting this nomination both on behalf of EURALO and on my behalf. After calls to nominate Stéphane echoed in our community, EURALO underwent a 24 hour consensus call to confirm EURALO consensus for Stéphane's nomination. With dozens of messages of support and no objection, I am honoured to be able to submit this nomination.
Should panellists decide that a posthumous Multistakeholder Ethos award is not possible, EURALO would suggest the creation of a special award for Stéphane, such is the resolve of our community to honour him.