[EURO-Discuss] Multistakeholder Ethos Award Submission

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Mar 28 20:31:44 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

With only positive responses and no opposition or abstentions, the 24H
consensus call asking our community whether EURALO should Nominate
Stéphane van Gelder for the ICANN Multistakeholder Ethos Award, has
ended in full support.
Please be so kind to find the Nomination for Stéphane van Gelder which I
have just filed with the Multistakeholder Ethos Award Committee on
behalf of EURALO.
Best,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond

--- cut here ---

1. Demonstrated ability to work across community lines with both
familiar and unfamiliar ICANN Stakeholders with the aim of consensus
building and collaboration that substantiate ICANN's multistakeholder
model;

/Stéphane was an inspiration for ICANN"s multi-stakeholder model. From
being a commercial, contracted party in the Registrar and Registry
Stakeholder Groups, Stéphane chaired the GNSO Council in a neutral
manner and using great communication and consensus building skills. He
then went on to spend several years in the leadership team of the ICANN
Nominating Committee, a position that again requires great communication
skills across an even wider range of stakeholders. Unusually, but to his
credit, he was also active as an individual end user in the work of
EURALO - where his aim was to help the At-Large Community improve the
quality of its output. He was one of the earliest and a key member of
the EURALO Individuals Association./

2. Facilitator of dialogue and open discussion in a fair and collegial
manner, through the spirit of collaboration as shown through empathy and
demonstrating a sincere desire to engage with people from other
backgrounds, cultures, and interests;

/He Chaired the GNSO Council and he Chaired the NomCom. It takes great
skills and investment to achieve success in these committees without
being accused of all sins. //
/
3. Demonstrated additional devotional factors exhibited by time spent
supporting ICANN's multistakeholder model and its overall effectiveness
through volunteer service via working groups or committees.

/At the SO/AC Chairs dinner in San José, Costa Rica, the then CEO Rod
Beckstrom asked each of us how much we took of our time to devote
pro-bono assuming our SO/AC Chairing duties. Stéphane answered that he
spent well in excess of 20-25 hours per week on GNSO work. Not content
of having spent two years Chairing the GNSO Council, he went on to Chair
the ICANN Nominating Committee. Not only did his involvement in ICANN
last for a long time, it was also intense and an integral part of his life./

Please provide any further information in support of your nomination for
panelists to review during the deliberation process as appropriate:

/I am submitting this nomination both on behalf of EURALO and on my
behalf. After calls to nominate Stéphane echoed in our community, EURALO
underwent a 24 hour consensus call to confirm EURALO consensus for
Stéphane's nomination. With dozens of messages of support and no
objection, I am honoured to be able to submit this nomination.//
//Should panellists decide that a posthumous Multistakeholder Ethos
award is not possible, EURALO would suggest the creation of a special
award for Stéphane, such is the resolve of our community to honour him./