[EURO-Discuss] R: Announcement on IANA Stewardship Transition (Rinalia Abdul Rahim)

Eberhard Blocher director at ourtanzania.com
Tue Oct 4 17:09:29 UTC 2016

Dear Jean-Jacques,

feeling flattered by your long and concise response, I would like to add
to my former posting, which I have to admit was not always clearly
worded by me

a) Thomas Rickert, at DomainPulse in Lausanne, didn't actually refer to
a United Nations model; rather, this was my perception only. If I
remember correctly, he did in fact use the term "virtual country", like
you pointed out, for the future governing of ICANN and the IANA
function. Please ask someone familiar with the teachings of Dr. Sigmund
Freud why I included a reference to the UN ;-)

b) I want to agree with you that I do assume the only effective control
is the one that has been in place for centuries, i.e. a system of rules
and sanctions enforced by the "powers that be". You understood me
correctly in this respect.

I do treasure the multi-stakeholder model I got to know at ICANN, since
this means I am able to stand in line with someone as distinguished as
Dr. Steve Crocker (before he became Chair of the ICANN board), and feel
similarly respected as he is, although he has lots more experience and
contributed much more to the Global Internet than I did, or am likely to
ever contribute.

Having said this, I am not a believer in the multi-stakeholder model as
the one and only perfect solution to the future challenges the
administration of the Internet will pose.

Kind regards,
Eberhard

Eberhard Blocher
EAHP KG