[EURO-Discuss] Trip to Caucasus - conclusions and recommendations

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sun Jul 14 14:49:21 UTC 2013

Just for the record - I have not seen the "lack of trust" Oksana is writing
about "in the communit", especially I haven't seen

"the lack of trust into ICANN in our community, of miscommunication,
untransperancy and unaccountability from both sides (ICANN and Ukrainian
applicant for .ykp)."

I have seen different people unhappy about different aspects of what they
think ICANN should be doing, and I have seen people unhappy with the IDN
fast track (shall I mention .bg IDN?). But that's different from the words,
used by Oksana. If there has been miscommunication, please, let the
regional VPs know about it. Likewise, if you believe ICANN has done or
hasn't done something, esp. if required by our policies, let us (me and
Nigel) know.

Thanks.
Veni,
VP, GSE.

On Sunday, July 14, 2013, EMP wrote:

> Dear Roberto,
>
> Thank you very much for your reports and especially for all your
> recommendations. You extremely clear identify major problems for
> understanding the role and mission of ICANN in post-Soviet space.
>
> 1. Regional issue.
>
> I would like to repeat again and again, that there is " wide unhappiness"
> not only  "in the South Caucasus (Armenia, Azerbaijan,
> Georgia) about being considered in the Asia-Pacific-Australasia region"
> instead of being included into the European region, but also in other
> East-European countries (for example, in Ukraine). Being in one team can
> help us much more easy to overcome post-totalitarian past, to promote
> multistakeholderism, to defend freedom and openness of Internet.
>
> I fully support your propositions and final report of ICANN Geographic
> Regions Working Group (which is written in extremely balanced manner and
> does not demand any immediate seismic shakes, but provides a lot of
> opportunities for self-identification). And I will be happy if ALAC will
> support this final report.
>
> 2. IDNs.
>
> My obsession with Ukrainian IDN cost  me a lot, nevertheless I am insisting
> on the importance of this issue. This is the best example of the lack of
> trust into ICANN in our community, of miscommunication, untransperancy and
> unaccountability from both sides (ICANN and Ukrainian applicant for .ykp).
> I highly appreciate Rinalia and Sebastien interest to this problem, and I
> have to say, that, with their help,  we had a lot of progress regarding
> this issue.
>
> Nevertheless, IDNs (and ccTLDs at the first place) have to be in center of
> At-Large attention. I proposed to oblige ICANN staff to inform all national
> representatives within ICANN (ALSes, GAC representatives, members of ccNSO
> and gNSO and so on) directly about any question of special concern for
> their country or region. I was said that it would be discussed in Durban.
> If I have to make now any further official steps to push this initiative
> forward, please let me know.
>
> Outreach - 1
>
> Roberto wrotes:
>
> ALAC is present with ALSes in very few of these countries, and completely
> absent in all the "stans". This is related to the situation about human
> rights, government control, freedom of press, and so on. However, aren't we
> in a vicious circle? In other words, which is the cause and which is the
> effect? Had we some active users organizations, wouldn't these be able to
> influence the government?
>
> This is extremely important question for countries without democratic
> traditions, grass-root activities and culture of active civic
> participation. And it's a pity that I couldn't participate in your meeting
> in Durban. I will resend your letter to Dmitry Kokhmanjuk, ccTLD .ua
> administrator (member of ccNSO), who is now in Durban. I hope he can
> [...]

Best,
Veni
http://veni.com
https://facebook.com/venimarkovski
https://twitter.com/veni

***
The opinions expressed above are those of
the author, not of any organizations,
associated with or related to him in
any given way.
***

== Sent from my phone, so any spelling mistakes are caused by the
touchscreen keyboard. That's a nice excuse, isn't it;-)