[EURO-Discuss] Trip to Caucasus - conclusions and recommendations

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Jul 13 12:40:09 UTC 2013

Dear Roberto,

thanks for your report.

On 10/07/2013 19:43, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
> I have included some of the rationale in my previous messages, but just to
> summarize, it is about preferential partnership with Europe for Internet
> projects, long term plans to join the European Union, being already
> considered part of Europe in other cases related to music and sport, the
> proximity to Europe more than to the Pacific rim, and, last but not least,
> that for IP addresses and ccTLDs often these countries are members of the
> European regional organizations (RIPE and CENTR).
>
> There is an ongoing activity to rethink the ICANN regions. These
> considerations should be brought forward in that context (actually, I
> believe that this is the case already, but I would like to bring this item
> to the attention of the whole ALAC community).

Yes, this is indeed a subject addressed by the ICANN Geographic Regions
Working Group and the ALAC has made its comments known wrt this during
the drafting/public comment phase of that process.
http://www.atlarge.icann.org/correspondence/correspondence-19dec11-en.htm

The ICANN Geo Regions WG has published its final report:
https://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-22jun13-en.htm

Next steps, as I understand it from this announcement, is that the ALAC
will be asked to comment on this final report and will have 90 days to
respond starting from the end of the ICANN meeting in Durban. Staff will
create a WIKI page for this matter and I will ask for a volunteer from
the At-Large community to hold the pen.

Kind regards,

Olivier