[EURO-Discuss] WIKIPEDIA for World Heritage

Manuel Schneider manuel.schneider at wikimedia.ch
Tue May 24 14:26:41 UTC 2011

Dear all,

a bit off-topic but I was assured that I may post this here:

Our german friends at Wikimedia Deutschland, the national support
organisation between the Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia, has
started a petition to convince the german government to nominate
Wikipedia as world heritage site at the UNESCO.

So may I ask you - any EURALO members or interested ALSes - to sign up
at this petition:

http://wikipedia.de/wke/Main_Page

Of course that I as the contact person of Wikimedia CH, the swiss
Wikimedia chapter, am in favour of that petition, nonetheless of the
arguable chance to actually get selected. Even the discussions and
arguments that would follow the nomination are (in my personal opinion)
worth to start this process.
Wikipedia would be the first digital cultur phenomenon that has been
discussed at UNESCO. The vision to make knowledge available for every
human being in the world has driven a massive movement in the last 10
years - also outside Wikipedia itself.

Read here an article about this idea the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/23/technology/23wikipedia.html?_r=2&hpw=&pagewanted=all

Thanks a lot,

Manuel
--