[EURO-Discuss] Today's monthly call, In-reach problems and suggested procedure

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Wed Jun 29 21:14:13 UTC 2011

Dear Manuel,

you announced already prior to the call that you might be impeded because of work commitments and your apologizes are noted in the meeting minutes.

Thanks a lot for your comments on the suggested procedure to deal with long-term inactive EURALO member ALSes and, as you mentioned, we don't want to do this in a careless way. I am convinced that it must be "fair for the ALSes in question" even if the procedure is demanding repeated efforts from the EURALO officers / me to follow-up. But this is simply part of our job ;-).

As mentioned before, we submitted this suggested procedure to our colleagues from other RALOs in Singapore and had a fruitful discussion in our (regular) Secretariats meeting. We found out that all RALOs face similar problems with some members and there should be efforts to deal with it. In the course of the Singapore discussion we found out that there won't be a "one fits all solution" - what means, each RALO can adopt and follow a modified procedure, according to cultural etc. considerations and circumstances, variable time lines and approaches BUT it should be done in a coordinated manner to apply at ALAC for a delisting / decertification of the members in question. And it's ALAC who is in charge of an ALS certification, and only ALAC can decide about any decertification - not the RALO concerned.

This was the decision taken in Singapore that each RALO will develop its "own" and appropriate procedure - knowing about similar efforts of the others. We agreed upon basic principles that the respective procedures must be fair and balanced before submission to ALAC. And our suggestion was well received and appreciated by our RALO colleagues. It's now on us to discuss and finalize the details and to adopt "our" EURALO specific procedure to solve the pending problems.

One of the good news from Singapore was: NO RALO is just collecting as many ALSes as possible (like stamps) even if some of them are completely inactive afterwards. All RALO communities understood that this is an issue of our own credibility towards other ICANN constituencies and can be seen as a proof of ALAC's maturity. I hope these further explanations can answer your questions.

Kind regards,
Wolf