[EURO-Discuss] about the At-Large Board Selection Design Team

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed May 19 02:09:23 CDT 2010

Adam:

Le 19/05/2010 07:03, Adam Peake a écrit :
> Olivier, Patrick:
>
> Thanks for the information about the design team's work on yesterday's
> call.  Seems the team is getting into a mess.

Thank you for launching the discussion. I would not go as far as saying
that the team is getting into a mess. There are just two points of view
around one subject which has not been resolved - the subject of
"conflict of interest" - what additional restrictions, if any, should
the At Large ICANN Board applicants abide by prior to even applying.

The discussion, which is not confidential in the interest of
transparency, can be found on:

http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/absdt_atlarge-lists.icann.org/2010-May/date.html

> ICANN has are rules about conflict of interest that have served the
> organization pretty well.  There are voting and non-voting board
> members (always have been) with interests in registries/registrars,
> people who consult on domain name business.  A broad statement to
> guide the BCEC should be enough, don't tie it's hands.
>
> Hope EURALO agrees new restrictions are unnecessary and we can quickly
> give you some support to get the team's work finished with a minimal
> set of sensible rules.

Clearly, Patrick and I would appreciate EURALO input. An endorsement
from EURALO will lend some weight to our points of view - if this is
indeed something EURALO members can agree on.

Kindest regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD