[EURO-Discuss] statement from Budget & Finance WG action item

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Tue Apr 27 03:30:15 CDT 2010

* Adam Peake wrote:
> Lutz, apparently the action item reflects something you said on the
> call, it reads:
>
> "Staff to place issue of whether regions feel that At-Large is
> working for itself rather than for the overall benefit of ICANN on
> the next cross-regional Secretariat's teleconference. Regions are
> also encouraged to bring this issue up."
>
> Does this make sense to you?  Or could you explain.  On the EU RALO
> call we weren't sure what it meant and generally disagreed.

Thank you for bringing up this issue to the list.

My intention is, that a lot of money is spend to ICANN staff instead to
necessary outreach. The question we have to answer is simply: "How can we
bring the issues of ICANN out to the community and how to collect the
'outside view' to inject is back into the structured ICANN processes."
Currently we are faced with the situation that "AtLarge" is a small but well
connected group of peoples. Such situations are known from all types of
organisations: The organizers silently take over and lose the connection to
the community base.

I'd like to spend the money on outreach then on staff.
But this is a mid term goal.