[EURO-Discuss] Proposed Euralo statement on the gTLD Applicant's guide

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Fri Jan 30 03:39:43 EST 2009

Bill and all,

Yes, it may seem contradictory to suggest lot of changes and at the same
time express concern about possible delays.
Actually, I think the European concern is more directed towards some North
American calls to drop the process entirely or suspend it until a series of
long studies are performed on the relevance to the market of the whole new
gTLD process.

I suggest an amendment to the text that would read:

"The EURALO does not support recent calls to delay the new gTLD process
until additional studies are performed. We are particularly concerned about
any delay to the introduction of IDN TLDs, both generic and country code,
and strongly oppose any further barriers to their introduction. We
understand that ICANN needs to carefully examine and address concerns
raised in the numerous comments that were submitted. However, we are
convinced they can be dealt with without slowing down dramatically the
ongoing process."

To reply to Annette: I had a discussion with some NARALO members, and they
disagree about the "no further delay" paragraph. Hence, I expect the common
ALAC statement to be silent about that.

The full Euralo statement is here:
https://st.icann.org/euralo/index.cgi?euralo_additional_statement_regarding_the_first_draft_of_the_applicant_guidebook_and_associated_document

Best,