[EURO-Discuss] Proposed Euralo statement on the gTLD Applicant's guide

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue Jan 27 08:34:47 EST 2009

Hello,

Thanks to Patrick, Adam and others for pushing this forward.
Appending regional comments to the ALAC statement seems like a good
idea.  I wonder though about the key sentence, "EURALO does not
support recent calls for a delay to the new gTLD process."  I'm not
clear on how this conclusion fits with the laundry list of concerns
raised in both the EURALO and ALAC texts.  Together, they say we want
ICANN to rethink registry/registrar separations; amend the guide's
requirements regarding the use of registrars; have a different
approval process for geographical, community bounded, non-commercial,
not-for-profit gTLDs; change the one-size-fits all fee structure;
improve compliance processes; build in public interest oriented
mechanisms; get rid of MAPO objections; drop ICC arbitration; change
the number of applications contemplated in the first round; and
develop a comprehensive resourcing plan for the new gTLD program.  How
could addressing all these concerns not involve delays in the
process?  Can we really have it both ways?  Would we be happy if the
board cited the "no delays" headline conclusion as support for moving
forward, but then didn't address fully the concerns raised?  Is that a
far-fetched scenario?

Just wondering,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and
   Development Studies
Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
New book: Governing Global Electronic Networks,
http://tinyurl.com/5mh9jj