[EURO-Discuss] Funding proposal for 1st EURALO board meeting in Geneva

Cheryl Langdon-Orr cheryl at hovtek.com.au
Thu Feb 21 21:00:15 EST 2008

Sorry Annette, I’m not sure I understand your point here....

Any procedures we have in place relate to the preparation of budget and
activity finding for the 2008-2009 FY

The EURALO F2F Board Meeting planned to be held in conjunction with an IGF
Meeting in Geneva  at end Feb, is an activity requesting funding from
existing current budget, not the future one, so as I see it the information
in Nick’s response is absolutely relevant as for the current Budget no
specific RALO outreach or F2F meetings were budgeted for outside of the
‘usual’ ICANN meeting cycle ones (this you might note is not what is
happening for the proposed budget for the 08/09 year and we DO NEED to get
RALO and ALS input into that process -> as discussed in public meetings in
New Delhi post haste)

EURALO should also note that other RALO’s have indeed made excellent use of
the teleconference facilities offered by ICANN, (and I personally recommend
this tool for your regular meeting use - *particularly* now we seem to have
a service provider that is actually worth working with)  but that  in each
of the F2F meeting(s) that I have been involved in for APRALO:- the APRICOT
/ BALI Meeting  {which was our RALO formation event} and which I attended as
an ALS representative {but please note for that trip I was in fact funded by
my ccTLD, who were also happy for me to be attending the main meeting} ...
and the 1 day outreach meeting held in Hong Kong, as well as our Hybrid F2F
Teleconference monthly meeting in LA at ICANN meeting,  just like your
proposal,  these venues were selected because a critical mass of us were
already attending those fora, and teleconference facilities were used to
allow those who could not attend, either because they were not funded to be
there anyway, or due to clashes of commitment that prevented travel at the
time  ...

For already established budgets, we need to work within whatever confines we
have (and indeed funds still residual at this point in the cycle, after all
expenses and claims so far have been made), and it is indeed unfortunate
that this appears to mean this time that even though you have indeed made
the proper application and it is well supported in concept (certainly I
applaud anything that best gets RALO’s working to meet their potential J),
as I suspect the rest of the current ALAC Budget SC do...  But just like the
one APRALO activity funding proposal made to sponsor an outreach activity
the 9th APNG Camp in August 2007 (also in this current budget) it appears
that funds are not available to make all our wishes and desires happen...
>From the APRALO view we have as a result of this ensured that information
project justification and background briefing materials as well as our
endorsement of the concept of sponsorship as an outreach activity of the
10th Camp this August, (in the next FY) have been collected and will be
submitted for consideration on the Budget planning for that year currently
being undertaken.

So again Annette I don’t really see how “our democratically decided
procedures are ignored“, particularly in this *time critical* application/
response requirement *time course*, nor do I feel that we are working under
an arbitrary system, rather an unfortunately  currently resource limited
one, and I certainly look forward to the opportunities offered by the new
ICANN budget and activity process/development paradigm that we are currently
involved in...

Please also note that the ALAC Budget SC still requires representation from
an ALAC Member from AFRALO and NARALO to ensure regional interest equity,
and I would like those names to be submitted for our next ALAC Meeting   see
https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?at_large_officers_and_working_group_lead
ers

CLO