[EURO-Discuss] EURALO Delhi report 4

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Thu Feb 14 04:05:07 EST 2008

Annette Muehlberg ha scritto:
> I actually hope, that we can come to an agreement to make it an ALAC/RALO
> statement. If not, the EURALO might want to support it

The statement, if I understand it correctly, seems to say that the JPA
with the US Government should not be terminated, at least for the
moment, and that ICANN should remain dependent from the USG. I
understand the concerns that lead to this position, but I do not think
that this is a position that the EURALO could support. I imagine that
big US NGOs think that they can have some leverage in Washington if
ICANN does something that they don't like, but we Europeans are not in
the same position, so unless the JPA is substituted with something that
gives to our governments the same degree of authority of the USG, I do
not think that we should support the continuation of this kind of
agreements - and even in that case, perhaps no governmental oversight at
all, even with the risks of reduced accountability, could still be a
better option.

Ciao,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------