[EURO-Discuss] Regional advice on France at Large application needed

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Tue Apr 29 08:53:04 EDT 2008

Dear Jefsey,

JFC Morfin wrote:
>First point, I do not want to create a contentious issue between us
>and ICANN while we have _many_ other priorities preparing the World
>Internet Week de Paris (http://wiw.de-paris.info). So, these mails
>will not be copied immediately on our general list which has now 23
>members, nor to the 700 Members (including ICANN Board Member) FGI
>list. However, your mails did leaked and the first questions are >coming in.

Thanks, Jefsey, nor do I.

>For seven years I am used to explain people round the world and in
>France that ICANN does not disregard the @large, just ingnores them.
>Do not be afraid, I will manage to explain them that ALAC does
>better. But I cannot know what people will do with it.

I have heard that you are involved in ICANN issues since many years and much longer than I am. And therefore it’s difficult for newcomers like me to „judge“ on old-hands like you; with the questions I raised I was not questioning your merits.

(...)
>Let me first ask you what is your job in this case, what is the role
>of the people in copy. You are not on the published ALAC lists. (...)

My job in this and other application cases is the one of an acting chair of EURALO at the moment. In this function all the applications regarding our geographic region are transferred to us to be verified by the board and to come up with an opinion and recommendation before ALAC takes a decision on approval or disapproval. Our verification is based on the Application and Due Diligence form submitted by the staff. Besides this we do consult the Website of the applicant and collect further infos from people who may know the organisation or people involved etc. When we get contradictory infos on an applicant – as it was the case here – the issue always becomes difficult for the RALO and board involved to come up with a unanimous recommendation for ALAC.

>(...) to understand who (except Cheryl) are the people you involve in Cc, who are the four decision makers and the three members of the Staff you discuss.

Until yesterday we tried to keep this discussion as internal as possible; to my knowledge there were ALAC and EURALO board members and the Staff involved.

>This may explain me some of the oddities I do not understand. May be,
>could you please explain what is exactly the internal procedure you >follow.

As I mentioned before and as Nick stated: „... the ALS Application Evaluation process in the document previously attached“.

(...)
>Let me clarify. I revived france at large after so many years of ICANN
>disinterest in what we consider @larges are. This is only to try to
>help ICANN stabilize better in the societal and cultural changes we
>are involved in. france at larege being an ALS is of interest to ICANN
>only if we welcome ICANN in Paris as an ALS. (...)

If I understand you right the questions and options I raised cannot contribute to a constructive solution in this matter – and I would never dare „pulling (your) leg“ BTW.

>Please do not call "inconsistent" or "controversial" what only
>reflect lacks in the Staff review of our registration. (...)

It was not only the Staff review showing “inconsistencies” and what made the application "controversial".

Bref: Pour le moment je me sens mal-placé à proposer une solution valable ou vivable, Jefsey. The only thing I know at the moment is that we need a way out and a valid solution in this matter.

Best regards,
Wolf

JFC Morfin Tue, 29 Apr 2008 03:43:

comunica-ch