[EURO-Discuss] Voting procedures and final documents

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Thu Mar 29 10:37:51 EDT 2007

Annette Muehlberg ha scritto:
> Dear All,
>
> I think we should use the drive we just picked up in forming EURALO to
> give all European ALSes and interested individuals the chance to join
> the follow up process.
>
> As far as I understood we wanted to have one big General Assembly (GA)
> online in which we discuss those issues we could not accomplish yet at
> the Lisbon meeting, such as incorporation and the nominations for the
> EURALO Board and the 2 european ALAC seats. I think we should stick to
> this procedure.

Actually, what we agreed is that:

- we will have a certain procedure to appoint positions, which will
include a quasi-GA (we agreed not to have a vote if not necessary,
though we might still want to have an online GA to ratify the
appointments) in the first week of May, to finalize elections of the
EURALO Board and ALAC representatives;

- we will task the newly elected EURALO Board with analyzing the issues
of incorporation and individual membership;

- we will have a formal (offline or online) GA before the end of 2007,
to take a decision on these issues (and also on whether EURALO ALAC
members should be a part of the EURALO Board).

Of course nothing prevents the EURALO Board from calling another GA
immediately having been elected, but I'd rather first discuss and come
to agreement on these issues, and then call a GA for the formal adoption
(if possible).

You can find this in the agreed procedure for elections (which I mailed
a couple of days ago) and in the final Bylaws, for which we're still
waiting for a clean text by Nick, AFAIK, but these days have been crazy
and I guess we'll have it in a few days - so this is the text agreed:

=====
Preamble

This document will be used for the time being as operating principles.
The issues of the incorporation of the Association and of the possible
addition of individual members to EURALO will be analyzed by the EURALO
Board and discussed in a General Assembly at latest by the end of year
2007. For the time being, the EURALO representatives in the ALAC will be
considered as additional non-voting members of the EURALO Board, pending
discussion of the matter in a General Assembly at latest by the end of
year 2007.
====

Anyway, the actual discussion could start now! I don't think that anyone
is opposed to individual participation per se, what I've seen is people
who do not see practical ways to give individuals the right to vote and
not just to participate in discussions. If those who support individual
membership would like to present a specific proposal about practical
details of how this could work, I think that it would be a good starting
point.

Ciao,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------