[EURO-Discuss] Why no room for individuals in the RALO?

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Wed Mar 28 12:21:22 EDT 2007

Hi,

I find this difficult to believe. ICANN's first membership advisory
committee that did the "serious studies" you are asking for, was founded
in 1998, yes, 1998!
http://www.icann.org/committees/membership/biographies.htm

The MAC discussed at length all the questions you mention below. The MAC
came to the conclusion that individuals should and can have a voice in
ICANN and it made suggestions how this can be achieved.

Likewise, there was long struggle in the DNSO about a constituency for
individual members because individual users should have a say in ICANN.

And now we should start all over again with the question whether or not
this makes sense? This reminds me of the debate on new TLDs and whether
more of them could do any harm for the DNS...

Personally, I won't join any ALS because it would be a sham if I did so.
I speak on my behalf and not in the name of any organization like most
of you do too. f I cannot participate in my individual capacity, I
rather don't.

I find this discussion immensely frustrating.

jeanette