[EURO-Discuss] Why no room for individuals in the RALO?

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at isoc.lu
Wed Mar 28 13:14:08 EDT 2007

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
> The MAC discussed at length all the questions you mention below. The
> MAC came to the conclusion that individuals should and can have a
> voice in ICANN and it made suggestions how this can be achieved.
Dear Jeanette,

As I said, if any commitee, working groups or  other body has produced a
report, it might be very helpful if you could forward a pointer to it.
It would save us a lot of time to not have to make the same research again.

>From what I read on
http://www.icann.org/committees/membership/commentary-26may99.htm and
other documents, these are more position statements than practical
suggestions to address the issues that were already raised 8 years ago.
I could now find a final report, though, but information is sometimes
hard to find on the ICANN web site.
> And now we should start all over again with the question whether or
> not this makes sense?
I am not questioning if we should accept individual users or not. The
question is HOW we do it.
> I find this discussion immensely frustrating.
I agree. Going forward, I would suggest that those who have worked on
the question in the past inform the newcomers here on the history: was
has been done and what remains to be done, in their view.

Patrick