[EURO-Discuss] Fwd: The ALAC Wasteland

Thomas Roessler roessler at does-not-exist.org
Tue Jan 23 17:26:40 EST 2007

On 2007-01-23 12:44:20 +0100, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Although ALAC has produced statements on all sort of policy issues, it is
> not clear to the outside world what role have the ALSes played in this.
> Also, it will be difficult for ALAC, or for the Board, to claim that these
> ALAC statements have been produced by, or at least in consultation with, the
> internet community if there is no evidence of discussion in the mailing
> lists.

To make that happen, there's a considerable contribution needed by
ALAC members: Explaining ICANN issues in a way that makes them
understandable and accessible to people outside the immediate ICANN
structure.

I'll admit that I was extremely negligent about this when I was on
ALAC myself.  But having left the bubble that ICANN is, I now
appreciate just *how* difficult it is to even get a good sense for
what on earth ICANN is doing at any particular moment.

--
Thomas Roessler   <roessler at does-not-exist.org>