[EURO-Discuss] R: R: Decertification of EURALO ALSes

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 18:10:19 UTC 2014

I know that I am not going to make friends with this message, but that's it, I am used to say what I think anyway.
Let me remind a couple of commitments included in the application form that *all* ALSes have agreed upon and signed.
*	Does your Organisation commit to supporting its individual constituents'/membership's informed participation in ICANN?
*	If your Organisation is accredited, will it commit to participating actively in the Regional At-Large Organisation (RALO) for the region in which your Organisation is based?
In my opinion, organizations that have given no sign of life for years have failed to maintain the commitment that they have willingly signed: to keep them in will be an insult to the many who have provided volounteer work and support to ALAC.
I believe that we should even think about more stringent criteria to apply for being an ALS, and to keep accreditation over time. Maybe time has come to discuss this.
Many organizations require members to pay fees, EURALO requires no fees but participation, it is clearly spelled out. Not to participate in EURALO is equivalent to not to pay membership fees to an organization. And this is normally a good reason for suspension of organizational membership, and, if not corrected, expulsion.
Cheers,
Roberto