[EURO-Discuss] URGENT: Draft statement to ALAC on At Large Board Director Election Process

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Oct 20 11:31:56 UTC 2010

Dear Olivier,

Thanks for following up on this so quickly.  Really is an important issue.

As a general introduction it's important to
capture what I think was a strong sentiment on
the call, namely that after such a long and
exhaustive process, where all involved from the
At Large have tried to create the most inclusive
and transparent processes possible, it would be a
disaster to rush the end of the process and
create something less democratic and an outcome
that would be less than satisfactory.

(And I've just seen Christopher's email, and
agree: the legitimacy of the eventually
"successful" candidate will clearly be contested.)

I would begin the letter as follows:

"Dear Colleagues,

At the EURALO Conference call 19 October, the
issue of timing for the At Large Board Director
Election Process took most of the debate time.
In fact, it became the most important issue,
prompting the other issues to be re-scheduled for
our next EURALO Conference call.

>The schedule which appears to have been proposed is:
>- 28 October 2010: Board Meeting, where the Board is expected to approve
>the Bylaw changes, and if so:
>- 3 November 2010: BCEC is scheduled to announce the slate of 3-7
>candidates retained for election
>- 3-12 November 2010 (10 days): candidates able to reach out to the At
>Large community (campaigning)
>- 15-19 November 2010 (5 days): Election takes place

With the person selected expected to be able to
participate in the Cartagena meeting (starting
for the board on Saturday December 4, or perhaps
earlier) and to take their place as a voting
Director on Friday December 10.

EURALO is of the opinion that as so much effort
has gone into making the process of selecting the
At Large Director as transparent, inclusive and
democratic as possible, it would be a grave error
to risk having this good work undermined at the
last moment by having to rush to meet externally
imposed deadlines.

We propose writing to the Board to inform them
that the lack of timely necessary changes to the
bylaws has caused delay to the At Large process
of selecting the voting Director. Given the very
short time remaining after the Board's
anticipated decision of 28 October 2010, the ALAC
is concerned that it cannot, in good faith,
select a person to this important position in
time to enable them to take their seat at the end
of the 2010 AGM."

(end of new draft text.)

While I think you have proposed a logical
process, and have squeezed in most of the
processes we think necessary to ensure the
minimum good process, I think we should also
consider a second option: If we were designing
the process without the pressure of the Cartagena
meeting/AGM, how many days would we recommend?  I
proposed we recommend that the question of
process and timeline for selection be given back
to the At-Large Board Selection Design Team to
make a proposal for the appropriate way forward.
They should be asked to suggest the best possible
process, and not consider any outside deadlines
and target dates. I think it is important we all
take time to consider the schedule needed to
produce a fair selection process, and I hope the
design team will be able to quickly come up with
a process that could take input from all the
RALOs.

Missing from the draft: candidate petition.

Candidates not on the slate offered by the BCEC
should have the opportunity to petition for
inclusion. I believe the opportunity to get back
on the slate was an important aspect of the white
paper plan.

I do not think it would be appropriate for
candidates to be petitioning while others were
campaigning.  So some time must be added to the
schedule to allow for a possible petition
process. How long is the minimum for the RALOs to
consider and agree on petitions?

Other than this, I would not recommend specifying
a new timeline at this stage.  As we think more
about all the issues involved we may find even
more time is required.  Let's propose a timeline
after discussing with other RALOs, best, let's
leave it to the design team to consider the
matter and to make recommendations.

I mentioned visas as a potential problem,
information about visas here
<http://www.colombia.travel/en/international-tourist/practical-information/travel-to-colombia-information-and-advice/before-coming>
If I understand the information correctly, that's
not so many countries with a visa waiver (33?)

I am uncomfortable about suggesting the person
might join the Board meeting via some form of
remote access.  Being able to join the other
Directors for the week of meetings, and also
receive briefings before the meeting, is
important.  Otherwise they will be at a
disadvantage as soon as they join.

I think this will be an unpopular proposal, but I
suggest we recommend to the Board that the person
be accepted as a "member in waiting" until six
months after the AGM when the begin their normal
term.  For that six month period they join the
Board along side the existing ALAC liaison as a
non-voting member, acting with the same
privileges and restrictions as the current board
liaisons.

More comments inline below:

>Dear all,
>
>at the EURALO Conference call today, the issue
>of timings for the At Large Board Director
>Election Process took most of the debate time.
>In fact, it became the most important issue,
>prompting the other issues to be re-scheduled
>for our next EURALO Conference call.
>
>One immediate and urgent action item was to
>write a letter to the ALAC Chair and to the
>ALAC, asking for more time to be given to the
>election process. Wolf Ludwig and I wrote this
>together after the conference call.
>The draft letter's contents explain the matter in further detail.
>
>Please be so kind to take the time to read the proposed statement/letter.
>What the EURALO Board needs today is your
>feedback by tonight, ie. Wednesday 20 October
>2010, 20:00 CEST, in order to be able to send
>this by Thursday.
>We realise that the time for comments is really
>short, but this is required as the clock is
>ticking and we have to ask for more time as soon
>as possible.
>
>Many thanks for your understanding in this
>crucial but exciting time for At Large.
>
>Kindest regards,
>
>Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
>EURALO Secretariat
>
>--- start of draft statement ---
>
>EURALO request to ALAC on At Large Board Director Election Process
>20/10/2010
>
>We are writing to you with regards to the proposed schedule for the
>election of the At Large Selected Board Position.
>
>The schedule which appears to have been proposed is:
>- 28 October 2010: Board Meeting, where the Board is expected to approve
>the Bylaw changes, and if so:
>- 3 November 2010: BCEC is scheduled to announce the slate of 3-7
>candidates retained for election
>- 3-12 November 2010 (10 days): candidates able to reach out to the At
>Large community (campaigning)
>- 15-19 November 2010 (5 days): Election takes place
>
>It is understood that the period 12-15 November (4 days) might be used
>for any RALO election process. If added to the 5 days scheduled for the
>election, this provides a total of 10 days for voting - assuming voting
>can be considered legitimate when candidates have barely had a chance to
>present themselves.

Missing from the timeline is the opportunity for
candidates not on the BCEC slate to petition to
be placed on the slate.  Hearing and judging
petitions is a process that will involve all
RALOs.  Suggest 10 days (though it should, I
think, be left to the design team.)

Overall I am uncomfortable with suggesting what
is the bare minimum to make the process work.
After all this effort we should be looking to
maximize the process.  We need to get this right.
It's about legitimacy of process and the
selection.

>We refer you to the At Large January 2010 White Paper Recommendation 4:
>
>"The Board seat should be selected by the ALAC plus the RALO Chairs. The
>RALO-appointed ALAC members and the RALO Chairs may be directed by
>their ALSes if the RALO desires (and in accordance with their RoP).
>This methodology gives ALSes large control over who is selected,
>without the complexity of two-level vote weighting and centralized ALS
>elector verification. The vote should be by secret ballot."
>
>In the interest of empowerment of our ALSes, it is the desire of the
>EURALO Board to conduct a vote of our ALSes directing the EURALO Chair
>on his vote.

The opinions of the ALS will also inform the ALAC
members, both those selected by the RALO and the
NomCom appointee.  Worth checking if some RALO's
rules of procedure require a directed vote.

>Whilst no mimimum vote timing is defined in the EURALO Rules of
>Procedures, clause 11.18.1 of the EURALO by-laws states that a
>sufficient amount of time is required for all members to record a vote
>on any matter. It is therefore good practice to provide at least 10 days
>of voting time for our ALSes. This appears to be clearly incompatible
>with the currently proposed ALAC schedule of only 4 days' voting time.
>
>Whilst we understand that the proposed schedule takes into account a
>number of constraints in order to allow the At Large elected Director to
>take their seat on the last day of the Cartagena Meeting on Friday, 10
>December 2010, we consider it unwise to hurry the process at the
>possible expense of a legitimate vote. ALSes need to be informed in
>time. Campaigning needs to be given enough time for Question/Answer
>sessions. Volunteers in ALSes need to find the time to make a sound
>decision for what is arguably one of At Large's most important decisions
>of recent years.
>
>We therefore suggest the following course of action:
>
>* the voting process be given more time, beyond the 15-19 November period.
>An extension of the Election until 30th November 2010 would provide more
>time for ALSes to cast their vote. Indeed, we believe that it would
>provide greater legitimacy to the process, thanks to a truly bottom-up
>empowerment. It will allow for voting time to fall closer in line with
>other ICANN processes requiring public input. We emphasize this further
>than standard procedure: it is a matter of credibility to our members
>and to the At Large community.

I would delete the above paragraph and say:

We recommend that the At-Large Board Selection
Design Team is asked to quickly make a proposal
for the appropriate way forward and to present a
timeline for the selection process.  We recognize
that time is short and the design team may not
have time to consult in depth with the RALOs, but
should ask the respective RALO officers to reply
to their respective members of the design team by
end of Monday October 25 so there is time to
inform the Board before their meeting on October
28.

>* ICANN should be informed that an At Large Elected Director taking its
>seat on the Board after the end of the Cartagena meeting might not be
>able to make it to the meeting in person due to VISA issues, and
>provisions should therefore be made for that person to participate
>remotely, by Webcam or other appropriate means.

I would delete the above paragraph and say:

The Board will be informed of the problem the
ALAC and RALOs are facing given the delay to the
changes in the bylaws, and that the ALAC does not
expect to be able to provide the name to the the
selected At Large Director in time for them to be
seated at the end of the AGM in Cartagena.

(my solution, expect unpopular)

ALAC will ask the Board to amend the by laws so
that the person, when selected, will be able to
join the Board along side the existing ALAC
liaison as an additional non-voting member,
acting with the same privileges and restrictions
as the current board liaisons. The person will
then take their voting seat six months after the
AGM and commence their three-year term.  At that
time, the current ALAC liaison will step down.

[I am irritated we did not even try to keep the
liaison position... but that's another
discussion.]

>* A clear and concise explanation of the voting process and schedule
>should be published as soon as possible, with an explanation of the
>procedure for a RALO petition (if required) including a flow chart to
>help ALSes understand how the process will take place. A further
>explanation of the multiple round voting should be detailed, bearing in
>mind the possibility of RALOs needing to call upon their membership
>between each election round. Should ALS balloting by RALOs not be
>possible for each voting round, this should be explained as soon as
>possible in order for RALOs to devise alternative voting strategies at
>short notice (weighted voting being one possible solution)

Not comments about letting the design team lead.

>Thank you for your consideration on this very important subject. Getting
>this process right is of particular importance since it has a direct
>impact on the legitimacy of At Large and the At Large elected Board
>Director. Whilst we do not dispute the fact that it is important that an
>At Large elected Board Director takes their seat in Cartagena, we would
>like the process itself to be as equitable, transparent and credible to
>our stakeholders.
>
>--- end of draft statement ---

Thanks,

Adam