[EURO-Discuss] Funding proposal for 1st EURALO board meeting in Geneva

Nick Ashton-Hart Nick.Ashton-Hart at icann.org
Thu Feb 21 02:24:59 EST 2008

Dear Wolf:

Thanks very much for your note - you had raised this with me in person in New Delhi and now this provides an opportunity for me to respond in a like vein in a more public way.

Firstly, it is important to set the context in which this request is made. We have just concluded an ICANN meeting which was more expensive by a considerable amount than is normally the case. We will not have a clear picture of what impact this has on the remaining funds available for At-Large for a few weeks.

I am sure that you will agree that we would not want to spend funds now which could have the effect of limiting the ability of ALSes in EURALO to attend the ICANN Meeting in Paris. Until all the expenses for New Delhi are in and accounted for, we will not really know where we stand.

I understand that your request envisages the travel support for one to three people to come to Geneva, and that several members of the EURALO board will be in Geneva. What I would suggest as I mentioned to you in New Delhi is that we provide a teleconference facility to allow remote participation - not only by board members, but by ALSes too. ICANN would certainly be able to make those facilities available.

Finally, I draw your attention to the fact that the time between the request and the event is extremely short - you'll recall that the process by which funds are requested envisages three weeks between the request and the event. Of course we can be flexible and respond to situations as they arise, but when we are speaking of travel support, it is always important to arrange things far in advance as otherwise the costs of air travel are as you know considerably greater.

I agree that face-to-face meetings have an important role to play in facilitating debate and even more in facilitating agreement. I trust that the EURALO members present in Geneva will have productive discussions and that the addition of one or two members via teleconference will be an added bonus.

Finally, may I once again say that ICANN stands ready to facilitate telephonic meetings for EURALO, as well as briefings on policy issues of concern to the region, whenever we are asked to do so. I hope that the region will chose to use the time between now and Paris to ensure that the Paris meeting is as productive and constructive as the New Delhi meeting has proved to be.