[EURO-Discuss] Funding proposal for 1st EURALO board meeting in Geneva

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Fri Feb 15 04:27:44 EST 2008

Dear Cheryl, Vanda, Annette
Dear Nick,

On our last Tel.Conf. in January the board of EURALO expected the User Summit happen next June in Paris. And in this context we decided to finally have our 1st (physical) board meeting after ICANN’s New Delhi meeting at the end of February in Geneva.

The EURALO board was elected in May 07 and we planned to have our first board meeting in conjunction with (Wolfgang Kleinwächter’s) last Studienkreis Outreach meeting in October 07 in Warsaw. In August 07 we submitted an application for a rather modest funding for a one-day board meeting to ICANN which unfortunately was not approved. Please take into consideration that many of EURALO’s board members have never met each other so far what hampered the working dynamic considerably. And the recent ALAC-RALO meetings in Delhi proofed in a rather convincing way how important f2f meetings are for any constructive debates (not only) among volunteers.

As some board member will come to Geneva in the context of the next IGF-consultation end of February, we thought that this offers another opportunity again to finally have a 1st EURALO board meeting in Geneva – -and presumably last meeting before ICANN’s 32nd meeting in Paris. Please note that the term of some of our board members expires at the end of may resp. in June at our 1st General Assembly. And we consider it as being completely inappropriate not having had a chance for at least one board meeting in between, which is also indispensable for the preparation of the EURALO meeting in Paris.

As a first preliminary Agenda for this (1st) EURALO board meeting
we suggested:

(1) Briefing about ICANN’s New Delhi meeting
(2) Options for a EURALO summit in Paris
(3) Draft EURALO budget for the coming fiscal year
(4) Planning for General Assembly in June 08 in Paris
(5) Board elections at GA in June 08 in Paris
(6) Other outreach activities foreseen
(7) Miscellaneous

The suggested funds for the EURALO board meeting the 25 February in Geneva are rather modest again. It just needs travel reimbursements for a part of the board members who are not coming to Geneva for the IGF-consultations anyhow.

Travel / flight reimbursements		EURO / US$ 2’000.—
Hotel accommodation (if required)	EURO / US$ 300.—
Meal							EURO / US$ 700.—

Total							EURO / US$ 3’000.—

This meeting is necessary for a decent preparation of the EURALO/ALS meeting this summer in Paris as well. We are looking forward for a positive considerations and response to our funding proposal to make our EURALO board meeting a success.

Kindest regards,
Wolf Ludwig
EURALO Chair

comunica-ch