[EURO-Discuss] [EURO-ALS] Voting Porcedure

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Fri May 11 05:49:08 EDT 2007

Dear Jeannette:

Though you are not a voter of course the questions are good ones. Here
I think are answers (though please do tell by reply if it is unclear).

With the ranking system, if you rank each candidate from one to three,
you are effectively not voting for the third candidate, because there
are only two seats to be filled.

As to potential voting behaviours, I'm unaware of detailed analyses of
different voting systems; I'm sure anyone who wished to do so could
search the Internet and find a lot fo information on this important
topic, but producing such information would be beyond the scope of a
staff role in any case.

What I can tell you is that this system will produce two ALAC members.
The two members it will produce are those who receive the most votes
for the first and second preference of those who cast votes. The
result is identical whether voters use this system, or whether they
cast two individual votes.

On 11/05/07, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

> Hi, I am also bit concerned about the ranking procedure. First, I havn't
> really understood if this procedure allows for not casting a vote on a
> specific person?
>
> Second is there information available that would explain the effects of
> potential voting behaviours? For a voting system to be democratic, each
> voter must be able to understand beforehand the potential consequences
> of her voting behaviour.
>
> thank you, jeanette
>
> doesn't allI don't really understand
> > Next: If there are two seats we have to vote for ALAC, then every voter
> > should have two possible votes. The two candidates with the most votes
> > will be elected. This is the democratical way of election. There ist no
> > need for such a ranking.
> >
> > After the election of the two members for the ALAC seats we have two
> > decide, how many seats shall the EURALO board have. The election of the
> > EURALO boad members can't start before we know how many board members
> > are to elect.
> >
> > Kind Regarts,
> >
> > Werner Hülsmann
> >

> > ####################################################
> > Vorratsdatenspeicherung? Nein Danke!  -  Noch ist es
> > nicht zu spät: http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de
> > ####################################################

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160
London N4 2XY