[EURO-Discuss] transparency on changes of rules

Annette Muehlberg annette.muehlberg at web.de
Tue May 8 06:10:32 EDT 2007

Dear Nick,

You just wrote:
"Whilst no impediment to participating in the work of the organisation
is otherwise envisaged, it was strongly felt that only ALSes who are a
party to the MoU with ICANN should cast votes in the upcoming election."

It is hard to understand the deeper significance of this sentence,
especially for non-native english speakers.

After Lisbon I talked with you on the phone about the rights of ALSes
who did not sign the MOU. You said, that there is no difference
concerning voting rights in comparison to those who signed it.

After our talk you wrote on the list:
"At the present time, NO LIMITATIONS ON NON-SIGNING ALSes HAVE BEEN
PROPOSED OR AGREED. Therefore, ALL ALSes IN EUROPE HAVE FULL RIGHTS TO
PARTICIPATE IN ALL ASPECTS OF THE EURALO. There has been some question
about this raised in previous emails. I hope this reinforces that there
is nothing to worry about."

Based on your mail, all accredited ALSes could expect to have voting
rights without limitations. But according to your latest mail it seems
that restrictions occured to those who did not sign and voting rights
have been limited to MOU signers - except they would sign within the
next two days.
How can you expect that volunteer representatives of our ALSes can meet
such short term deadlines?

So, if inbetween your two eMails (mentioned above) limitations on rights
of ALSes have been introduced:  what changes exactly were made? why?
when? by whom?

Best
Annette