[EURO-Discuss] PROPOSED TELECONFERENCE

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Thu May 3 16:28:18 EDT 2007

Jeannette:

It shouldn't be too difficult, if anyone is unable to attend, for them
to state their preference on the few topics at hand. For example,
nothing is preventing anyone from saying what number of directors they
believe to be optimal.

Those on the call could also suggest, for example, that one of the
items to be voted on in the vote to be held is the number of total
board seats.

So, using that example, one could have a ballot with:

1) A selection showing numbers between 5 and 9 (for example). The
number with the largest number of supporters would be the number of
total board seats.

2) A selection for two preferences for the ALAC seats

3) A ranking for each of the candidates, with the top x vote getters
('x' being the number chosen by the ballot in (1), being those chosen
for the available board seats.

This process has gone considerably over the timeframe agreed in Lisbon.

I would ask everyone to show flexibility and understand something very
important:

The ALAC members need to be chosen with AT LEAST one month to go -
and, really, six weeks - before the Lisbon meeting - for airline
tickets to be purchased in good time to avoid unnecessary expense. We
do not have extra budget funds this year to spend because a decision
on selecting two candidates from a field of three candidates took a
great amount of time - we've suffered a budget reduction. The other
reason that the choice needs to be made - sooner, not later - is so
that those chosen can have time to arrange their affairs to attend the
Puerto Rico meeting.

Others may say what they will - it appears to me that the discussions
have reached a point where there are no other candidates, yet, we have
too many candidates for the board to be of any reasonable size in
comparison to the total size of the ALS community.  I hope everyone
will not invest too much time and energy in how many board seats there
are - the community is quite small enough to actually discuss most
important questions directly.

I draw everyone's attention to the fact that no other region has more
than two officers. EURALO is going to have at least five.  So, the
question of how many seats needs an answer. Reasonable timeframes for
holding the vote also need to be decided.

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160
London N4 2XY