[EURO-Discuss] Lisbon Follow Up

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Mar 31 07:44:35 EDT 2007

Sorry I forgot the proposals:

1. the prepare a workshop for San Juan on Consumer Interests on geographical TLDs: The working title could be "Consumer Confusion vs. Consumer Choice: The User Interests in  GEO-TLDs". As we discussed in Lisbon, there is a growing number of related projects (.berlin, .nyc, .cym, .sco, .london etc) and there are two main arguments in favour and against. In Germany the local government which operates berlin.de argues that .berlin would create consumer confusion while the federal parliament just recently adopted a resolution arguing GEO-TLDs like .munich, .cologne, .saxony, .bavaria or .leipzig would bring more competition and more consumer choice. I expect that the ICANN Board if it has to take decisions on such TLDs  (based on the GNSO Policy paper and the GAC gTLD principles) will need some input form the user perspective and this is the ALAC. I would be ready to start the preparation for such a two hour workshopin San Juan.

2. I propose to use the forthcoming 8th meeting of the ICANN Studienkreis (October 11-12, 2007 in Warsaw) for an EURALO outreach meeting (Thursday, October 11, 9.00 - 15.00) for Central and Eastern Europe. I ask all ALS and other friends of EURALO to send me contcats so that we can do outrech and invite speakers. I will work together also with the Diplo Foundation. Input from ISOC Europe is welcome.

Best

wolfgang