[EURO-Discuss] Towards EURALO: A Proposed Roadmap

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Tue Jan 16 08:58:34 EST 2007

Patrick Vande Walle ha scritto:
> Dear all,
>
> I do not want to be misunderstood. While I am sympathetic to taking into
> account the need for better representation of Eastern Europe countries
> and women, I do not wish to discriminate against the Western European
> male either. Also, we should remember we are choosing two individuals,
> not a whole parliament. Hence, hard quotas might be counter-productive.

I'm taking your suggestion: if we like, we might want to focus this
discussion on picking two names, not just one. We will have to elect two
people in Lisbon anyway, and the optimum would be that one of them is
the same that the Board will pick for this interim period between now
and Lisbon. In this context, perhaps a good couple could be made by one
man and one woman from two different parts of Europe.

However, it is also true that it would be unfair to "pre-judge" the
outcome of a vote that we will hold in two months from now, possibly
including some new orgs that are currently in the process of
accrediting, and new people volunteering. And also, in the end, it will
be the ICANN Board to make the selection for this interim period, and
I'm not sure whether they will share the same priority ranking that we
adopt, whatever it is.

Anyway, let's see how many nominations we get, and then adapt to the
situation.