[EURO-Discuss] Towards EURALO: A Proposed Roadmap

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at isoc.lu
Tue Jan 16 07:57:28 EST 2007

Dear all,

I do not want to be misunderstood. While I am sympathetic to taking into
account the need for better representation of Eastern Europe countries
and women, I do not wish to discriminate against the Western European
male either. Also, we should remember we are choosing two individuals,
not a whole parliament. Hence, hard quotas might be counter-productive.

For me, the prime criteria that should apply is competence, knowledge of
ICANN decision mechanisms, past achievements, etc.
Basically, I would apply the criteria as defined by the ICANN nomcom for
selecting board members
(http://www.icann.org/committees/nomcom/#criteria ), maybe by lowering
the bar somewhat. The details can be discussed, but you get the idea.

Now, if those who fit the bill are women and/or from Eastern Europe,
fine. In short, we should encourage the participation of women and
Eastern countries but it should not be the main driving force behind the
selection. In the end, there will be an election anyway. Whoever is
elected will have to represent the whole RALO, not a particular
sub-region or gender.

Best regards,

Patrick