[EURO-Discuss] Draft MoU

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Wed Feb 21 12:56:18 EST 2007

See below

On 21 Feb 2007, at 13:24, Wolfgang Kleinwächter wrote:

> Comments ot the MoU
>
> 1.2.4 To breach the digital divide and encourage users in
> developing countries to participate in EURALO.
>
> Wolfgang:
>
> Are developing countries in the European region? "To breach" is too
> strong, to strengthen/promot digital opportunities would be
> probably better. Or take a formulation from the WSIS Geneva
> declaration on an inclusive information society with the human
> being in the center.
>

> 5.4.1 The EURALO will choose two (2) individuals to serve as
> representatives to the At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), in the
> terms specified in the ICANN Bylaws. To the extent possible, the
> ALAC representatives shall be selected by consensus; if a consensus
> cannot be reached then a vote shall be held. Only those ALSes, and,
> to the extent voting rights are extended to individual members of
> EURALO as determined by the General Assembly of EURALO under rules
> as it shall determine, those individuals, who have been accredited
> prior to the election will be able to vote. Each accredited ALS
> will have one (1) vote. The selected representatives must be
> members of different ALSes, must have their principal residence in
> different countries of the region and their nationalities must be
> different. Selected representatives will have the responsibilities
> described in the ICANN Bylaws.
>
> Wolfgang:
> What about voting rights of individual members? And what about
> geographical diversity among the three European representatives in
> ALAC?

The formulation I used is the minimum required by ICANN. Note that it
does specify that individual members of EURALO have the vote to the
extent that the EURALO's General Assembly provides that they do. We
could similarly provide that the voting rights of ALSes are also to
be determined in the same way, and that, in addition to the diversity
requirements above referenced, the General Assembly may provide for
additional diversity criteria.

Remember that the EURALO cannot affect the choice of the NomCom, so
it is possible that one sub-region in Europe may be over-represented
depending upon who is elected and who the NomCom appoints at any
given point (I'm sure you are well aware of this Wolfgang but others
may not be...)